Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rustyr00 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2013, 08:21 AM
    Can my employer force me to do an assignment I don't want to do?
    Something which my managers are calling "business critical" has come up in my business area which the senior managers are pressing me to do. It is to take up a role in a team I used to work in some 18 months ago, and this role is a period of time between 3 months to 2 years. I didn’t have a very good experience working in my old team – I had no job satisfaction and the work was causing me to not want to come to work each day.

Luckily another role came up within my work and I am now happy doing this and have been happy for the last 18 months or so.

However I was approached about going back to my previous role some 2 weeks ago and I have expressed constantly that I don’t want to go and work back their as it causes me un-due stress.

This seemed to fall on deaf ears of the management and it got to a point where yesterday I ended up crying in the office of the senior manager of my department yesterday along with my line manager. This is causing me undue stress just thinking about going and working there. But yet the management are alluding to the fact that I have no choice in the matter and I have to go.

I was wondering whether you can advise me of what rights I have in regard to this matter? As I really do not want to do this assignment especially when somebody else in the business can easily take on the role.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2013, 08:34 AM
    If you want to continue working for them they can. If you refuse they can fire you for insubordinatioon. You are always free to seek employment elsewhere.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 6, 2013, 08:44 AM
    You have the right to quit and find another job. You can refuse, but they can merely fire you.

They may assign you any detail they wish,unless you have a written contract not to do those duties
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 6, 2013, 09:14 AM
    Crying in front of management over a work issue is very unprofessional and probably put you in a bad light. If you don't like it, work elsewhere. Doesn't sound like they will budge. Now you have to mend fences if you want to stay. You brought a personal issue into a business atmosphere, not good.

Be big about it, swallow your dislike and go, is all I can say
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 6, 2013, 11:38 AM
    What planet do you work on where you have no choice? Of course you have choices. One is to demand more money and see what happens. The other is to refuse and then when they say you are fired, you say no, I just quit first. Have your desk all packed and ready to leave on a minute's notice.
    Now what happens after that is not clear yet. If this is the US, you can go apply for unemployment, but in order to get it without being laid off, the employer has to be contacted to see if they protest. If you were hired for specific tasks and they asked you to do something different that you aren't equipped to do, then they can determine if you qualify or not. But since you did that team job before, chances are you have a job description that is pretty flexible, and you won't get UI.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I don't have I-94. Can Transfer my visa from employer A to B and travel to USA [ 0 Answers ]

I am working for Employer A.Right now I am in INDIA. I have valid H1B visa but as of now I have't step into USA. I am planning to go for H1B transfer from Employer A to B. Here I have few questions : 1. Will it be posible to transfer docs without having I-94? 2. If yes, I don't have I-94. Can I...

Can an employer force a part time employee to open their availability? [ 2 Answers ]

Background: Been working for a large retailer for 8 years in California. I'm a part time employee who is only available two days a week because I have a full time job elsewhere. Many employees have these restrictions due to other jobs and school and they are very much aware of this and have never...

Can an employer force an employee to work while on vacation? [ 4 Answers ]

Can an employer, by law, require that an employee take the work lap top and perform job functions while on vacation? Can the employee be terminated for refusal to do so?

Can my employer force me to pay their portion of FICA? [ 6 Answers ]

I am a w-2 employee with a written agreement that the employer withhold 35% of the receipts I bring in as a therapist. They have also been deducting their share of FICA when they take the agreed upon 35%. At that point they send that reduced amount on for payroll processing where my share of FICA...

View more questions Search