Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladybug777 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Should I go to small claims or police?
    3 weeks ago my daughter hit a deer with her car & needed a whole headlight assembly & front fender. My neighbor said he could get it almost half price at junk yard. I live in Pa. So he went on internet to see if they had it. They said they did. So I gave him the money they quoted. He came back & told us he had to go to New Alexandria(near bottom of state for the part. They have a large junk yard down there. He came back & said they had no parts either. So I asked for the credit paper & he said he would like to keep it & pay me the $ I gave him so he can fix his car. I said OK He'll pay when he gets his chech/ Well he hasn't paid' I've left recordings He won't answer. 4 weeks now. He came to my door today & said I'll pay you when I can & got smart with me. I said I want receipt He said I don't have it. I called the car place & they will give me back my $ but I need the credit slip he won't give me) Should I call the police or take him to small claims court?? He put the receipt under his name the car place told me today? Help thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 19, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Sounds like a business deal gone bad, may not be criminal, I would go to small claims court
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2007, 09:41 PM
    I'd go to the cops as well, have him charged with theft, deception, fraud, etc.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 09:45 PM
    Your daughter hit a deer with her car - why didn't the insurance cover this? Why wasn't it reported to the police in the first place?

That being said, I would go to the police now and tell them all what happened. Provide the dates, the amounts of money spent, the promises and the whole scenario of how things played out. If you get no redress from that course of action, go to small claims court.

Mar 21, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Your daughter hit a deer with her car - why didn't the insurance cover this? Why wasn't it reported to the police in the first place?

That being said, I would go to the police now and tell them all what happened. Provide the dates, the amounts of money spent, the promises and the whole scenario of how things played out. If you get no redress from that course of action, go to small claims court.
    I have 3 daughters. The 1st one owned the car & her daughter really hit the deer(underage) I guess they didn't want insurance to go up. My 3rd daughter just bought the car off her to fix,Thank you for your information , I will call the police.

Mar 21, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    I'd go to the cops as well, have him charged with theft, deception, fraud, etc.
    Thank you I will call the police.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2007, 09:04 AM
    Hello lady:

I'll bet they tell you that it's a civil matter. But, please let us know.

excon
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 21, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Sounds civil to me too. You allowed the guy to keep your money with the promise he would pay later. No specific date was tied to the "loan" so you are left dealing with a bad debtor. The part about the credit paper and the car company doesn't make sense to me. You gave him the monet and they did not have the part. How/where did they get your money if they didn't give you the parts. Please spell out what you mean by credit slip.

Mar 25, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello lady:

I'll bet they tell you that it's a civil matter. But, please let us know.

excon
    You are absolutely right. The police told me it is a civil matter. Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2007, 11:43 PM
    First, I would write him a letter spelling out what happened and what he owes you giving him five or ten business days to pay you or you will take him to small claims court. I would also include any documentation or correspondence that pertains to the matter with the letter. Also, copied documentation from the small claims court with his name on it, but that has not been filed yet so that he knows that you mean business. I would then have it notarized and send it by certified or registered mail.

If he does not respond within the time limit, I would file the small claims papers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use this to take someone to small claims? [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to make it short and sweet. We went to settlement on the our purchase of a home and, because I thought I knew the person we bought our home from I did not take a written agreement. BIG NO NO on my behalf realizing that now... The agreement was for the seller to come back and repair...

Small claims [ 7 Answers ]

My car was hit back in April. Since no one was hurt, and I was in such a hurry to get where I was going, I did not call the police. I quickly jotted down the man's information myself. However, I cannot get money out of the guy. He said he would pay and now isn't. The damage is approx $400.00. ...

Small claims [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to sue in small claims court... the situation is... I paid a sort of boyfriend my half of a vacation that never happened... I canceled the vacation in time to get a return for my share of the cost... it was all on his credit card... when it came back to his card he never gave me the...

Small claims [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to sue someone in small claims court... he is a German man... he has lived in America for many years... speaks English well... his wife is telling me I must pay for an interrupter as English isn't his native language... he has got a drivers license in the us.. as well as has got a...

Took ex boyfriend to small claims, HELP [ 4 Answers ]

I took my ex boyfriend to small claims because he owes me $2,600. And I won, but I am having trouble getting the money. I tried to garnish his wages, he works with his grandfather, so they lied and said he is working part time. So I couldn't garnish. What do I do?? I want to know if I can take...

View more questions Search