Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Soleigha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2013, 11:52 AM
    Contested divorce
    My husband is going through withdrawals from drug addiction and has decided in a frenzy of emotion to divorce me. We've only been married 4months and share a house we rent. I'm currently not working and have no money or a vehicle. I moved to his town and know no one. He is telling me I must move out of the house tomorrow as he will be leaving also. I have no where to go and no way to get out. Also, no way to pay the bills. What are my options? What can he legally do?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2013, 12:40 PM
    First thing I would do is find a job... because you are going to need money in the short term... and only after 4 months don't expect any alimony or much of one in any case even after the divorce.

And your own best interests at this time would be by preparing to have to have to support yourself... then anything you get you can put in the bank.

Might not be what you want to hear... but your best interests in the short term at least are taking the bull by the horns.

Also, what country and what state do you reside currently. Any specific information would require knowing that as rights and laws vary from state to state.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2013, 01:07 PM
    We will need more information about your living situation. Do you own or rent your home? Do you have a lease? Is your name on it? Have you been legally evicted?

You do not have to move if you are legally occupying your residence until and unless you are properly and legally evicted.

As for the divorce, it sounds like the marriage was a mistake if your husband is drug addicted, even if he's recovering from the addiction. Someone who is struggling with addiction should not make a decision to get married.

It sounds like you need some support. Do you have family you can go to? You do need a job as well. Don't worry about the details of the divorce - figure out where and how you are going to live first. Unless you've been evicted, I don't see why you have to move tomorrow.
    My only concern would be if he's running from someone - dealers he owes money to? Law enforcement? Don't stay if it's dangerous but don't base your decisions on a drug-addicted mind in withdrawal, either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there any way around a contested divorce in NY state when the other party refuses? [ 15 Answers ]

This is my first time using the help desk. I have read similar questions from women in situations like mine. The bottom line is... we put ourselves here. 26 months ago I began dating a man who, putting it lightly, misrepresented himself as "divorced". Not long after- under the direct question...

Contested divorce and trying to do it on my own. [ 2 Answers ]

My ex husband is a commercial fisherman. I am a single working mother. (my son is from first marriage) We were only married for 4 months before he decided he wanted a divorce. We have not properties, no children, and no monies together. He is asking for a china hutch he gave me, for me to...

Contested divorce [ 3 Answers ]

Our daugther has filed for divorce. Her soon to be X, I hope, is contesting wanting equity. We gave her the land, made down payment and other expenses of setting up double wide. He signed papers all he intitled to was one half of principal paid on home. He has not lived there for 2 yrs and did...

I got a contested divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I am living in CA. After I got married, I have been in constant verbal and physical violence from my wife. After my wife beat me several times in one week in August 2007, I filed a refraining order and moved out. Since then we separated. Last month I filed the divorce petition, recently I received...

I want to fill for a non contested divorce on my own what should I do [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I have been married for 7 years now. Wev'e only lived together for the 1st month and have never live together since. We have no kids no property or any dept together, nothing. We speak sometimes to one another and we both bring up the subject of divorce and we agree to meet complete...

View more questions Search