Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gossimer1969 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2013, 10:21 PM
    Is releasing background or application information a privacy violation?
    My cousin applied for a job at a major discount chain on the recommendation of his landlord whose duaghter works in HR hiring, (I’m sure it was partially selfish – he had lost his job and assisting him in getting a new job would ensure a continued renter, but still appreciated anytime someone wants to help someone else find a job!). Shane had a felony…what I don’t know was whether he admitted it on the application or if it was picked up on the background check-- or if it matters either way. He was ultimately turned down for the job, and the HR rep told her mother that Shane wasn’t hired because he had a felony. The landlord did not ask about or check background when she rented him the place; however, she is now saying that she learned from her daughter that he had a felony and she will not rent to someone with a record and he needs to find another place to live. I would think that would be a privacy violation. Is that allowable?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 4, 2013, 10:45 PM
    My understanding of the law is that crime records are public, and anyone can get them about anyone, and that a job application has no expectation of privacy. Privacy laws regarding employment are company policy, not federal or state law, and he wasn't employed by them even if they do have a policy.
    Whether the landlady can break his lease, if he has a lease, is another matter. It depends on the writing of the lease, and possibly what state this is in. And of course if he has been on time paying the rent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Violation of Privacy Act? My privacy rights violated? [ 1 Answers ]

My landlord in retaliation for me serving him with a 60 day notice to move because he failed to fix problems told a creditor who was only calling to verify my resident that the vendor denied me the credit I needed because of that statement. Were my rights violated? Terry

Privacy Act information [ 3 Answers ]

Please help.. I run a tractor trailer with a team partner. He recently had his picture taken by a traffic cam. My company gave out my name and address without my written consent and there was no supeena sent as well as no verbal permission given. They just gave out my information to the town of...

HIPAA Law Regarding Former Employer Releasing Information [ 6 Answers ]

I am currently unemployed. I approached a staffing company which asked me for two supervisory references, which I provided. Upon contacting my former employer to check the references the staffing company told me my ex-supervisor was reluctant to talk to him citing a company policy against giving...

Application in background mode [ 1 Answers ]

How should I do to make my small application run in background mode?Please reply to me.Thanks.

View more questions Search