Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mndude11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2013, 07:59 PM
    Boss with offensive sticker on office his door
    I started working at this company 2 months ago and my boss has an offensive politically focused sticker on his office door. Business ethics wise, I don't think that political opinions have a place at work. Plus, he is the only on in the office of 80 people who has a political sticker on his door. Furthermore, if I were to play devil's advocate and put up the opposite political argument in the form of a sticker on my door, I would be fired or asked to take it down. How do I ask HR that it be taken down? Should I contact HR anonymously? I'm certain others feel the same way, however, no one has come forward. What should I do?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 3, 2013, 08:07 PM
    You should do nothing because you are a newcomer and learning the lay of the land, and the ways of the office politics. Why stick your neck out, when you should be fitting in? There will be more facts later, so for now put aside your own politics, and pay attention.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 3, 2013, 08:26 PM
    Pretend you're a parent, and your child comes home and tells you that the kids in school are calling him names. What would you advise your child to do? Most likely you'd say what all parents have said since the first cave man kid was picked on, which is to ignore them, words can't hurt you.

This is the same thing. It's a sticker, and it can't hurt you, so ignore it. It won't effect your work, and it doesn't effect his, so reporting it will look like nitpicking. They'll wonder why you have so much time on your hands that you go around noticing stickers on doors, and worrying about them, instead of focusing on your job.

It's really a non issue.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 3, 2013, 10:00 PM
    Work your way past him in rank and then you can order him to take it down.
    Can't wait that long? Rip it off when no one is looking, and hope there aren't any hidden cameras.
    Or paste a Hello Kitty sticker over it.
    Doesn't he have a boss? If that person has seen it and done nothing, you do nothing.
    I think you think that the workplace follows nice neat rules. It doesn't. If you aren't top dog, you take your lumps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boss smoking in the office? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm a non-smoker all my life, and have taken great care to keep far away from ciggies because my father's side of the family has a frightening history of lung cancer. Another note: in Australia, it's illegal to smoke inside buildings. Australian No Smoking Legislation - Smoking Ban - No Smoking...

Can I be prevented legally from socializing with my boss by the big boss? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been best friends with my boss for years and she then became the boss of our company which is under an umbrella of a bigger company. We and our families have been very close for many years and she has been my boss for 4 years. Recently she was told she is no longer allowed to socialize with...

My wife denies office affair with her boss, but her story is full of holes ? [ 2 Answers ]

She admits, he is a womanizer and chases after the ladies in the office, tickling them and making rude and dirty jokes. She agrees that she was the person he hounded the most. She kept it a secret from me for 3 years, and lied to me during 3 years, when I suspected. In the same breath, she...

Can my boss make me pay for a door I accidentally damaged? [ 12 Answers ]

I work in construction and I accidentally dented a door, can he make me pay for it or deduct the pay right from my check?

Christmas Office Door Decorations! [ 4 Answers ]

My office is having a Christmas Door Decorating contest and I'm looking for suggestions! Please help! It has to be done by the 18th of Dec for judging!:)

View more questions Search