Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2013, 06:46 PM
    Is it possible?
    I recently heard a pastor speak about a woman who came down for prayer because she had a lot of problems. While he was praying over her a demon spoke through her in a deep voice. He said something about her being his and he didn't want to leave. After much prayer this demon left her. Can a person be saved and still have a demon? Or can a person accept Jesus Christ as their savior and have a demon dwelling in them. This woman was in a church needing prayer... could it be she had accepted the Lord? I don't understand. What do you think?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 2, 2013, 07:39 PM
    Yes it is possible. Demons are separate. Just like angels are separate. If one does attach itself to you then it can be cast out. But even in believers it can cause pain and affliction.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Mar 2, 2013, 07:54 PM
    Boy did you open up a can or worms on this topic!

There are pretty much two schools of thought (within the Christian community) on this.

The main school of thought is that once you are a Christian and indwelt by the Spirit of God, though still capable of sinning and "messing up", there is little to no room for demonic occupation. Obviously there is much scripture to support the Holy Spirit dwelling in a Christian. You can understand how, by reason, one would assume that no such Obviously could be made.

The other thought is that yes, it is possible for a Christian to be demon possessed. Along side 1 Corinthians 6:19 as we are described as a temple indwelt by the Holy Spirit, we are forgetting that only the Holy of Holies belonged to God alone. While the temple as a whole is FOR God, even gentiles were allowed into the Outer courts.

By reason, it would seem to me that a Christian could not be demonized. However, over the last few years I have read a lot on the subject of Christian demonic possession. While the Bible never says specifically one way or the other... real life is showing the deliverance community otherwise. I will not say 100% one way or there other... because to do that would require a knowledge of the hearts and rightstanding with God that these people may or may not have. Specifically that will have to be left with God. In a practical sense... there are many... MANY cases of people that we should know to be saved coming forward with demonic issues.

As I stand right now, I do lean towards the possibility of a Christian being able to be demonized. To be honest, if I was to pray for an individual that I "knew" to be a Christian, I wouldln't bring up the issue of their salvation. I would simply get to the matter of why the spirit is there, have the right broken and case it out. I don't want to get caught up in who is sinning, or who has lost salvation, etc...

I know my response was on the less technical side of things and was really without scriptural support... but I'm very tired right now lol.

Dr. Lester Sumrall (whom I admire more so than any other human being to have ever lived) was one of the leading authorities on deliverance and demonic possession. He strongly taught that a true born again believer could not be possessed. I might footnote here that I agree they have the power NOT to be... and SHOULDN'T be.

Derek Prince was an amazing deliverance minister and he taught just the opposite. Christians could indeed be possessed (or demonized). He had decades of examples to back that belief up... and I believe he made very compleling arguments for it.

If this is s subject anyone else desires to read further into I would suggest readings from BOTH of these men.
    Curtis Wilson Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Mar 2, 2013, 07:55 PM
    I don not believe a Christian can have a demon living inside of them. God is light, and in hin there is no darkness. Yes, you can be oppressed by a demon, but these things are on the outside of you, not inside were the Holy Spirit lives. If this lady is living in fear of maybe having a demond they can attach themselves to you. She needs to come against the spirit of fear in the name of Jesus Christ. These demons want you to believe that you can have one of them living inside you, and so causing fear. We are told not to yield ourselves unto sin but God.

Rom 6:13 Don't give the parts of your body to serve sin. Don't let them be used to do evil. Instead, give yourselves to God. You have been brought from death to life. Give the parts of your body to him to do what is right.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2013, 08:03 PM
    Curtis,

I use to believe exactly like you. But I am not sure any longer. THINK about it. This woman was in church.. she could have been saved. How can a demon keep someone from salvation. They do not have the power. Salvation is simple... christianity is much more complex.

Mar 2, 2013, 08:06 PM
    Very true... let's not confuse oppression with possession. Curtis I was with that stand point for a number of years. I'll say this much, I won't say 100% yes or no. As a said earlier, I'll leave their rightstanding with God and God alone. As Christians we are simply called to free the captives, whether we believe they are saved or not. Saved or not, if you experience deliverance I don't see how you aren't coming out the other end of it a Christian.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2013, 08:08 PM
    Haunting,

I'm blown away by your thoughts. I really think it is possible and at one time I didn't. Creepy. I will be looking into this further.

I have tons of questions. But I will wait until you aren't tired. I want fresh answers. Lol

Mar 2, 2013, 08:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    Curtis,

I use to believe exactly like you. But I am not sure any longer. THINK about it. This woman was in church..she could have been saved. How can a demon keep someone from salvation. They do not have the power. Salvation is simple...christianity is much more complex.
    Classy, let's not confuse being in church as the same thing as being saved. And that's the tricky part about this particular subject. We have to make a lot of assumptions here.

Also, let's remember Christ encountered demoniacs in the temple areas. Demons aren't afraid of church... nor are they afraid of many Christians these days. There are also religious demons. I just refuse to believe our understanding of this can be cut and dry.

If a person came to me for deliverance and I knew them to be a Christian... I just could NOT bring up the issue of their true salvation. The issue of sin certainly needs to be dealt with... but I've sinned many times as a Christian... who am I to cast stone in that matter. That's why my conscience just can't allow me to fight on one side of this issue alone.

Mar 2, 2013, 08:14 PM
    Curtis,

I use to believe exactly like you. But I am not sure any longer. THINK about it. This woman was in church..she could have been saved. How can a demon keep someone from salvation. They do not have the power. Salvation is simple...christianity is much more complex.
    No demon in hell or anywhere can stop someone from getting saved!! The gates of hell can not and will not prevail against the Kingdom of God. When I was a very young Christian, some 33 years ago I experienced these same things, and the Church I was going to did not have the wisdom necessary to deal with it. It took diligent prayer seeking answers from God on how to deal with it. In the end this person was a friend of mine, and she lived in fear of this, and it manifested itself in the form of a demon. It was not in her, but oppressing her. Once she knew the truth it set her free.

Curtis

Mar 2, 2013, 08:21 PM
    Let's also make sure we're on the same page for the definition.

I think "belonging to" and "having control of" are two different things here.

As a Christian, of course we do not belong to Satan or his eternity any longer. However, I believe a Christian can be driven (demonically) to do things.

Mar 2, 2013, 08:23 PM
    Curtis,

Don't be unsure any longer, you know in your heart what the truth is. As the anointing in you teaches you all things and is no lie. Trust in the God that is in you.

Curtis

Mar 2, 2013, 08:28 PM
    I believe this is an issue the church has brought upon itself. Again, we SHOULDN'T be dealing with the subject... but sin finds ways to creep in and here we are.

I am usually a very black and white, right and wrong... "this is what scripture says" kind of guy. This is the one subject in Christianity where I think the two sides should hold hands. Christians should not be demonically influenced... yet if we DO sin, we have an advocate with the Father, that is Christ Jesus. If we DO stumble we are not cast down but upheld by His right hand. Praise God we have a merciful and forgiving Lord!
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2013, 08:30 PM
    Haunting,

Oh please I hear you. Church going does not equal salvation. But it made me think. What IF someone had a demon, heard the gospel and accepted the Lord. A demon couldn't prevent them.

Curtis -
    As far as being a Christian and getting into sin or even satanic activitiy.. I understand oppression. I get the difference. But my question is more about someone who already is possessed, hears the gospel and receives it. Does the demon leave? Or does it have to be expelled?

Mar 2, 2013, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    I believe this is an issue the church has brought upon itself. Again, we SHOULDN'T be dealing with the subject...but sin finds ways to creep in and here we are.

I am usually a very black and white, right and wrong..."this is what scripture says" kind of guy. This is the one subject in Christianity where I think the two sides should hold hands. Christians should not be demonically influenced...yet if we DO sin, we have an advocate with the Father, that is Christ Jesus. If we DO stumble we are not cast down but upheld by His right hand. Praise God we have a merciful and forgiving Lord!
    I totally agree, the spirit of fear always manifests itself in these kinds of situations. "That which we have greatly feared has come upon us" Faith on the other hand always triumphs over fear in every case.

Curtis

Mar 2, 2013, 08:41 PM
    Ah... I didn't take your original question as to whether a person was already possessed and then receives the Gospel.

No, a demon CANNOT stop a person from willingly wanting to receive Jesus as Savior.
    Now, "cannot" does not mean "will not try". Now I know of cases where people have been strangled at the alter from demonic forces doing anything they can to prevent salvation. They will cause people to faint or loose consciousness. One thing you have to know about the spirit world is that these demons vary greatly in strength and wickedness. Some will leave once that person accepts Jesus... others will need to be cast out. But in the end, one way or another, they MUST leave.

Personally I can say this... I was so far into demonic oppression before I received Jesus in my heart that I almost can't discren the line between possession and oppression. Satan had me bound HARD. I would be filled with such hate and tremble all over when I was around people worshipping God. I could hardly stand in church anymore. When I prayed with my pastor, there was no manifestation or interference... but I felt all that binding drop off me. I literally felt something come off me and leave me. I have never felt so clean and pure and light in my entire life and it brings tears to my eyes even typing about it right now.

Mar 2, 2013, 09:00 PM
    Haunting,

Oh please I hear you. church going does not equal salvation. But it made me think. what IF someone had a demon, heard the gospel and accepted the Lord. A demon couldn't prevent them.

Curtis -
    As far as being a Christian and getting into sin or even satanic activitiy..i understand oppression. I get the difference. But my question is more about someone who already is possessed, hears the gospel and receives it. Does the demon leave? or does it have to be expelled?
    When Jesus sets someone free they are free. You can not have the Holy Spirit and a demon living in the same body. Yes that demon leaves, yet that same spirit will try to oppress that person, to cause fear. The spirit of fear will and does cause a lot these manifestations. You get rid of fear and you will get rid these demons. Resist the Devil and he will flee from you. A lot young believers are susceptible to these kinds of things, once we know the wiles of the Devil he has no place in our lives.

Curtis
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2013, 09:14 PM
    Curtis.

Ok. I can accept that. Haunting do you concur? ( I watched Catch me if you can today.. ha ha. Sorry if you haven't seen it I you won't get my joke)

Mar 2, 2013, 09:59 PM
    Curtis.

Ok. I can accept that. Haunting do you concur? ( i watched Catch me if you can today..ha ha. sorry if you haven't seen it i you won't get my joke)
    Good movie...

Mar 3, 2013, 06:28 AM
    We own it ;)
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2013, 09:43 AM
    I used to accept the whole "possessed vs oppressed" thing, until I realized that the Bible makes no such distinction. The Greek term is just "demonized." No degrees of difference, no distinction between believer and unbeliever, just "demonized." If the demon is there, it needs to be gotten rid of, believer or no. That's as much as I know, except that I have encountered believers who were pretty severely demonized. Helping a group of fellow believers expel one of them was NOT fun, in fact it was one of the scariest things I've ever seen. And the other person I've seen in this situation refused to believe it was a demon and not God's spirit, so as far as I know, now some 30 years later, he's still in that condition. I can't say for sure, because I lost track of him after I testified at a custody hearing when his wife divorced him, and he promised to kill me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search