Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grencha Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2013, 09:17 PM
    Psychiatrist Evaluation
    If a parent suggests that their child see a psychiatrist and the child is 19 years old and living at home what should the child do? If the child agreed and then thought the doctor was inappropriate in their approach can the doctor be reported? This is in the USA state of Pa.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2013, 09:21 PM
    What does "inappropriate in their approach" mean?

Feb 27, 2013, 09:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    What does "inappropriate in their approach" mean?
    Well for one thing he smoked a pipe while in a session. Then bluntly asked about a specific sexual activity and questions leading up to or regarding it. Hope that is clear enough. I also just checked if he is still practicing and he is at age 76??
    It seems a little pointless because he was like maybe 40 when this happened.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2013, 09:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by grencha View Post
    Well for one thing he smoked a pipe while in a session. Then bluntly asked about a specific sexual activity and questions leading up to or regarding it. Hope that is clear enough.
    Did he ask for permission to smoke?

Was that question part of a search for information about a new patient? And fit with your presenting problem?

Feb 27, 2013, 09:42 PM
    Did he ask for permission to smoke?

Was that question part of a search for information about a new patient? and fit with your presenting problem?
    No and No
    Basically he did not have an idea why the child was there nor did the child.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 27, 2013, 10:02 PM
    This was approximately 36 years ago?

Feb 28, 2013, 10:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    This was approximately 36 years ago?
    Yes that is correct give or take a year, not to give exact year if that is okay. So would you go to a Psychiatrist if somebody in you family suggested it I mean really.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 28, 2013, 11:00 PM
    Yes that is correct give or take a year, not to give exact year if that is okay. So would you go to a Psychiatrist if somebody in you family suggested it I mean really.
    Psychiatry has changed a great deal from 36 years ago. Back then, even medical doctors smoked and recommended it (were even in TV commercials). And if this was a psychiatrist who did psychoanalysis, his questions were the norm.

Yes, I would go to a psychiatrist, if the need arose.

Mar 1, 2013, 05:59 PM
    Psychiatry has changed a great deal from 36 years ago. Back then, even medical doctors smoked and recommended it (were even in TV commercials). And if this was a psychiatrist who did psychoanalysis, his questions were the norm.

Yes, I would go to a psychiatrist, if the need arose.
    Reply:
    Sorry I can not buy that and I don't think Psychiatry is worth 2 cents and would not recommend it to anybody. For somebody that puts a label on you that is just their opinion and squeeze you for hundreds of dollars in the process I say bull to that. Now if you are looking for an excuse in life well knock yourself out.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 06:02 PM
    Reply:
    Sorry I can not buy that and I don't think Psychiatry is worth 2 cents and would not recommend it to anybody. For somebody that puts a label on you that is just their opinion and squeeze you for hundreds of dollars in the process I say bull to that. Now if you are looking for an excuse in life well knock yourself out.
    Apparently you have had no experience with psychiatry during the past 36 years, much less in this millennium. No squeezing, and labels are doled out very cautiously.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by grencha
    If a parent suggests that their child see a psychiatrist and the child is 19 years old and living at home what should the child do?
    The "child" could have done one of several things:
    • Say "no".
    • Say "yes" and go to the psychiatrist..
    • Say "yes" and not go to the psychiatrist anyway.
    • Say "maybe".

Quote Originally Posted by grencha
    If the child agreed and then thought the doctor was inappropriate in their approach can the doctor be reported?
    he smoked a pipe while in a session. Then bluntly asked about a specific sexual activity and questions leading up to or regarding it....
    He can be reported. Whether he would be disciplined based upon that report and subsequent investigation is doubtful (even if it were much less than 36 years ago). Smoking during the session was (I guess) and still is (for all I know, having never seen a psychiatrist) acceptable behavior. And questions of that nature are what shrinks are paid to ask.

Mar 1, 2013, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    The "child" could have done one of several things:
    • Say "no".
    • Say "yes" and go to the psychiatrist..
    • Say "yes" and not go to the psychiatrist anyway.
    • Say "maybe".

He can be reported. Whether he would be disciplined based upon that report and subsequent investigation is doubtful (even if it were much less than 36 years ago). Smoking during the session was (I guess) and still is (for all I know, having never seen a psychiatrist) acceptable behavior. And questions of that nature are what shrinks are paid to ask.
    Reply:
    Ok I see what you mean but it was out of the clear blue sky like somebody told him to get a response for the question.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 06:41 PM
    A 19 year old is not a child. And what is the point if this happened 36 years ago. Perhaps the OP is this nineteen year old, just realizing now he didn't like the experience.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 06:42 PM
    Reply:
    Ok I see what you mean but it was out of the clear blue sky like somebody told him to get a response for the question.
    Are you the young person ("child") who went to the psychiatrist many years ago?
    Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 06:43 PM
    Really? Yes if I thought it would help.

Mar 1, 2013, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    A 19 year old is not a child. And what is the point if this happened 36 years ago. Perhaps the OP is this nineteen year old, just realizing now he didnt like the experience.
    Reply:
    Well if a parent has to suggest or think there son or daughter needs to talk to a doctor for a psychological issue then how else could you refer to them other than "child"? I suppose I could have used son or daughter thou. Possibly it is a possible connection to the doctor ever since like an attraction the person just has realized and would like to prove either way. Like the doctor may have an attraction to the person and thinks he has leverage.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 07:14 PM
    Reply:
    Well if a parent has to suggest or think there son or daughter needs to talk to a doctor for a psychological issue then how else could you refer to them other than "child"? I suppose I could have used son or daughter thou. Possibly it is a possible connection the doctor may ever since like an attraction the person just has realized and would like to prove either way. Lie the doctor may have an attraction to the person and thinks he has leverage.
    Ah, so you WERE that 19 year old.

Mar 1, 2013, 07:17 PM
    Ah, so you WERE that 19 year old.
    What just exactly does that mean really now.
    Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 07:37 PM
    What just exactly does that mean really now.
    But why, grencha, does this matter at this point in time?

Are you at some sort of crossroad in your life where what happened 36 years ago makes a difference now?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 2, 2013, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    But why, grencha, does this matter at this point in time?

Are you at some sort of crossroad in your life where what happened 36 years ago makes a difference now?
    And, of course, what is this doing on a law forum?
    No, you cannot sue your parents.
    No, you cannot sue the psychiatrist.
    End of discussion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dire need of psychiatrist [ 5 Answers ]

I moved to CA from MA where getting a doctor was as simple as going into the office with your MassHealth card. I really wish I could say the same for CA I have medicare through SSDI and I also have Medical. The furthest I have gotten to getting a new doctor is the countless un-returned...

Should I see a psychiatrist [ 11 Answers ]

I am not very familiar with psychological disorders, and I feel like I am a normal person, but I also feel like I know a lot of people who go to psychiatrists that seem to be normal as well. I am now 25 years old, 3 years out of school and I am living my dream job and being very successful at it....

Seeing a psychiatrist [ 1 Answers ]

Can people from England see a psychiatrist for free? Maybe after a GP recommends it. Is this service part of the NHS or private sector?

View more questions Search