Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmp4481 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Private Student Loans
    I have about 105,000 in private student loan debt. With my payments starting to be the full amount, I'm not sure what I can do. Does the new bankruptcy laws protect the private student loan debt from being discharged even though they aren't federal loans? Thanks for any help. Any suggestions will be great.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 19, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Could you re-read your post and possibly restate it or at least rephrase?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Also where are you located? In Canada a bankruptcy does not erase student loans unfortunately
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 19, 2007, 01:42 PM
    FYI,
    Member is located in Texas.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Ah, well then never mind!

How did you see this, when I go to look at the profile I never see the city someone lives in
    BossMan

Mar 19, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Lowtax, ask no questions and I'll tell no lies ;)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 19, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Lowtax, read the line under Curlybens name, it says administrator. They know everything.
    BossMan

Mar 19, 2007, 02:20 PM
    Ballengerb1, the important title is the one in my signature ;)
    jmp4481 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Could you re-read your post and possibly restate it or at least rephrase?
    I would like to know if bankruptcy would discharge my private student loan debt since it is not a federal loan? Yes, I do live in Texas. Thanks!
    Miranda Posts: 54, Reputation: 5

Mar 20, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Unfortunately not. I just inquired about this very same thing with my bankruptcy lawyer.
    Dabidosan Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 11:49 PM
    Ha. Miranda's attorney sucks or simply doesn't know how to file an bankruptcy. You can file bankruptcy on your non federal student loans! There is an alternative but either way your going to drag your credit through the ringer! Don't pay! There I said it. I can't believe it but I said it. You can't be garnished in the state of Tx (so don't move for the next 7-10 years). And don't make any payments to any of the holders for next 7-10 years. Anytime you make a payment you eliminate the statute of limitations and start all over again. NOW seeing that your loan is so much I can assume that you have or are looking to get a professional license? Here's the downer - they can't come after your paycheck but they can take your license. Also the loan is going to passed from agency to agency until the statute runs out. That means non stop calls until you send each agency a do not call request.
    Miranda Posts: 54, Reputation: 5

May 14, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Well, in the state I live in, wages can be garnished. If you do not pay your student loans, they will get a judgement and attach any checking or savings accounts. They will get their money eventually, and when they do, you will owe way more than 105k. I wouldn't mess with them. Also, the loan will be passed from agency to agency forever. Not just until the statue runs out. Once the statue runs out, if they haven't already gotten a judgement, they can no longer sue. However, they can still call and send letters all they want. They will definitely get a judgement on that large of an amount though.
    Iknowalotofstuff Posts: 144, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2007, 07:18 PM
    Lowtax4eva made a comment about Canadian Bankruptcy and private student loans that was unfortunately incorrect. S. 178 of Canada's Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act states that only government student loans or loans guaranteed by the government are not subject to discharge unless the student has been out of school for 10 years. Private student loans are treated as any other unsecured debt provable in bankruptcy and are dischargeable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Reporting Private Loans to Credit Agencies [ 1 Answers ]

I am making monthly payments to a private source to pay for a vehicle that was purchased for me. I have paid on the vehicle for the past 4 years and would like to know if it is possible to have that information reported to the credit agencies. If it is possible, how do I have it done? I had...

Getting student loans [ 2 Answers ]

I would be glad if someone can guide me through places/ organisations/ banks that offer student loans to international students without having the need to get it co-signed by a US citizen or greencardholder.

Private student loans [ 1 Answers ]

Student loans [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way to file bankruptcy on student loans?

View more questions Search