Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kdx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2013, 10:56 PM
    F-1 student doing online work
    Hi,

I'm an international student studying in a US university on F-1 visa. I did some online freelance work to cover up some of my expenses and I recently found out this counts as employment and hence, is illegal. If the freelance agency provides me a 1099 form, will I be in trouble? I didn't earn much as of now (less than $1000, which will account for the next tax year) and I will pay taxes on it. But, does this create a paper trail with USCIS? Does something small as $1000 fall under the threshold where I might be in trouble?
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Mar 1, 2013, 12:29 AM
    Report it on your taxes. Don't worry about it; probably nothing will happen. They don't talk to USCIS. But try not to do it again.
    kdx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2013, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by newacct View Post
    Report it on your taxes. Don't worry about it; probably nothing will happen. They don't talk to USCIS. But try not to do it again.
    Thanks. But, if it is less than the reporting threshold, would their be a paper trail at all? I read somewhere that if the amount is less than $600 (or $400, not sure which) the employer doesn't have to generate a 1099. Is this true?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 06:55 PM
    If it is less than $600, no Form 1099=MISc is REQUIRED, but the employer may generate it anyway.

Like newacct said, report the income. The USCIS will not react to such small earning, but you should discontinue the practice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can the student's dependent work in the UK [ 0 Answers ]

I am under student visa and my boy friend is under PSW. His post study work(post study work) permit will be expiring end if this year. We plan to get marry before that, therefore can my boyfriend apply as my dependent after that and will he get work rights to work in the UK? I have no work work...

Student dependent can work in uk [ 0 Answers ]

Hi my wife is main applicant... she just applied for visa.. she is doing undergraduate course in university as a fulltime student. I was here as a student and applied for dependent visa on behalf of her before 3 months of expairy of her visa... she wasn't as a tire 4 student.its more than 5 months...

F1 visa student, working online at home country as a publisher for US based company [ 1 Answers ]

Hey experts, It is summer and I am interested in working. However, that is working online. So this is what the overview of my work would be like: Note: I have an F1 visa 1. I run a website 2. I signup with a US based company 3. I publish their ads/offers/surveys and make money 4. The US...

View more questions Search