Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lucasscott15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2013, 03:49 PM
    Does employer have to pay the employee the per diem directly?
    Our boss has been alotting us $30 a day per diem for food. He gave one guy a credit card and we just buy our food on that. Some days might spend $5 others might spend $30. I was told that the employer has to actually pay the amount of per diem that he says he would in a check. So if he sets our rate at $30 a day the we should get a check for $150 in a five day work week. Is this true?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 28, 2013, 04:34 PM
    Per diem is usually applied after submitting an expense report for what you have spent on food throughout the day for your contract work. Consider yourself lucky that he gave you a credit card. Are you submitting receipts for what you spend on meals?

If you got a check for $150 dollars then you had better spend it on food; and not on anything else, or you would be out of pocket.

Or, what is your problem with how your employer pays you per diem? You getting meals, are you not ?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 28, 2013, 04:55 PM
    Unless you can find written company policy, or you have a written contract saying 30/day for food (and not saying 'up to' 30/day), then they can give you only what you spend in a day on that one card, or basically whatever they want. So charge away, each day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my employer required to pay per diem? [ 1 Answers ]

Is my employer required to pay the federal per diem rate if they send me out of town to work? I live in Colorado and they want to send me to South Dakota for a month. I have no contract with this company (I'm a tree trimmer), they will give me a company truck to use. They said the per diem is about...

Is it legal for an employer to pay overtime through its per diem account? [ 1 Answers ]

I have search the net for an answer. I was only able to find articles explaining and defining per diem as an expense account used for travel expenses (which is my understanding of the term). I was NOT able to find one article related to per diem paying for overtime (non-travel) wages which lead...

Can I claim apartment rent for out of town work when my employer did not pay per diem [ 1 Answers ]

I had to rent an apartment for 8 months because my work was 10 hours from my home my company did not pay per diem can I claim this as work related exp on my ta and where do I put it?

How long can an employer wait to pay an employee in al [ 3 Answers ]

My husband was leased on as a driver to a company in al. his last paycheck should have been on the 23rd of July. The man isn't paying the was he is suppose to. How long does he have to pay what he owes to us.

View more questions Search