Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jolie0216 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2013, 01:19 PM
    Generating sequential list in Excel 2003
    My column A is going to be a numbering column. The numbers need to go like so: OH2-00001x, OH2-00002x, OH2-00003x, OH2-00004x, etc. These are sequential so how can I get Excel to autofill these for me (so I don't have to manually input 15,000 of these!). The regular way of getting excel to autofill 1, 2, 3, 4 doesn't work with this. What kind of formula/macro/whatever do I need to get the results I want? Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2013, 02:43 PM
    Try filling in the first 3 or 4 rows. Then select those cells and drag the lower right corner down a few row. See if it fills in the sequence. If it does, then highlight all the cells and drag the corner down all 15000 rows.

If it doesn't work. Then just put the numbers in the rows and create the sequence. Then Concatenate that column with the text.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 28, 2013, 11:05 PM
    1) Put this formula in the first cell for the first number, do not edit the A1:

="OH2-"&TEXT(ROW(A1),"00000")&"x"

2) Copy that cell down as far as needed.

3) Highlight all the cells with the new formulas

4) Do a COPY, then PasteSpecial > Values

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sequential numbering in Excel [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to number a column in sequential order by counting the number of times a certain word is typed in another range. For example: AAA 1 BBB 1 AAA 2 AAA 3 CCC 1 I need the numbers to be in sequence in column B:B every time a word is typed multiple times in column A:A.

Excel sequential numbering questions [ 5 Answers ]

I have a spreadsheet with our clients on them, with about 5 columns across the top (name, address, phone #'s, email, comments) and in Column A, I have them numbered. The issue is that they are not all the same number of lines apart. For instance if a client has 3-4 different emails or contact...

Sequential numbering in excel 2007? [ 3 Answers ]

Sequential Numbering in Excel Sheets. Sheet 1 - Copy to Sheet 2 But No in Cell "A1" must Change to next No i.e 0001 to 0002.

Auto Generating Sequential Numbers in Excel 2003 [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All I would like to have sequential Auto Generated Numbers in column A of my Excel 2003 Spreadsheets e.g A1=1, A2=2, A3=3 etc. But I would like Excel to auto generate this number, rather than input?

View more questions Search