Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tenga_tapan Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2013, 11:24 AM
    I think I am flagged as a fraudster
    Hello,
    I just recently moved to the uk about a month ago and had a bank account opened up in Lloyds TSB. Now as being a new entrant I started to look for jobs and an offer came up which said was for a 'Customer Services Handler'. Now a copy of the duties and responsibilities was sent to me which said that I would have to maintain documents, type, and other official duties, etc. Now it also said that I would have to do some training courses for 10 days paying me a daily wage and that the training manual was also sent to me. This training course consisted of different steps of which the first included about account payments and immediate transfers, and the others consisted of foreign exchange, company software, Financial engineering, etc. I was called up the first day of the training and was sent the amount and was asked to send it to another person whom they identified to me as my colleague. Now I did what I was asked and later that day as I went home and checked my internet banking, it was suspended. Now I immediately called up the bank asked what was going on, the staff said that it was nothing and that they would take care of it for me.
    So I didn't do anything and stayed put for my next training call which was supposed to be about 'determinants of foreign exchange' but now I haven't received any calls from the so called company which called itself 'Hosford Asset Finance' and I have also found out that my account has been closed and I cannot open a bank account with the bank.
    I felt shocked as I was behaved very coldly by the staff, as I asked about the reasons she said that I was sent a letter and that I would be receiving it soon, so I checked the internet on whether the bank could close my account without informing me, in my search I came across people suspecting it because of money laundering . Now I was more shocked and as I looked into it more and the more it resembled to the company's action.
    Now I think that I may have been flagged as a fraudster, but before this research that I did, I didn't even know of money mules or laundering. I had no idea.
    I still have the documents sent to me by the so called company and the number that was used to call me but as I call the number it simply says that it cannot be reached after a ring and I also have the receipts for the money sent overseas, because the lady told me to keep it with me for it would help my training results.
    Now I recently have got an opportunity for a job and without a bank account I may not be able to get the job.

What can I do??
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 27, 2013, 12:37 PM
    ... Now I recently have got an opportunity for a job and without a bank account I may not be able to get the job.

What can I do??
    I'm curious: Why would you need a bank account to get the job?

Feb 27, 2013, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I'm curious: Why would you need a bank account to get the job?
    Well... the recruiter asked me for my bank card number... as I'm new here I don't know much but isn't it necessary to have an account for receiving salaries and stuff?
    Expert

Feb 27, 2013, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tenga_tapan View Post
    well...the recruiter asked me for my bank card number...as i'm new here i don't know much but isn't it necessary to have an account for receiving salaries and stuff??
    I'm not absolutely sure how paychecks are processed in the UK, but here in the US employers often directly deposit pay to an employee's bank account. This is a courtesy to the employee, and is simpler all-around. But there should be no problem with paying the employee via check, as was done prior to the advent of direct deposit.

So, if you receive a paycheck, you can always cash it at the bank on which it is drawn, whethere you have an account there or not..

Feb 27, 2013, 02:14 PM
    Thanks AK, but I would be grateful if you could help me on how I can re-open my bank account and what to do about me being flagged??
    Expert

Feb 27, 2013, 02:26 PM
    I would go to the bank in person and ask to see someone in charge. Don't leave until you get answers.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2013, 02:39 PM
    You apparently fell for a very common scam where someone sends you a check and then ask you to forward the amount (less your portion) to someone else. Only the check is a phony. You should report this to the police, then take the police report to your bank. You may have to reimburse them for their loss.

Feb 28, 2013, 03:04 AM
    Thankss for your advice guys... but I didn't cash a cheque, the money was deposited to my account and I forwarded it... so do I still have to reimburse the bank? If so I don't have the amount right up with me.. can I pay the bank after I get a job?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 28, 2013, 03:53 AM
    Doesn't matter whether it was a check or a wire transfer, the scam is the same. Unless the bank accepts that you were a victim rather than a perp you may have to reimburse.

Feb 28, 2013, 05:06 AM
    Thanks scott... I'll get back to you

Mar 1, 2013, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Doesn't matter whether it was a check or a wire transfer, the scam is the same. Unless the bank accepts that you were a victim rather than a perp you may have to reimburse.
    I just talked to the employer and he says that I need to have a bank account for payment of the salary and he can't cash the amount and give it just for me... any help opening a new account or I may lose the chance for this job too... can you post an answer as soon as possible... it would be a great help!!
    P.S. How do I clear my name??

Mar 1, 2013, 10:48 AM
    I just got my bank statement sent to me and it says that £40 was taken off as a fraud recovery but when my account closed I had £50 in it and I got the £10 back... I don't understand why they returned me the £10 if they really thought it was a fraud??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I be flagged for employment for past UCMJ? [ 7 Answers ]

I got into trouble back in 1998 because my roommate was money laundering and I didn't say anything. He was dishonorabley discharged and I was given UCMJ and 40-40. That's 40 days punishment and 40 days loss of pay and kept my rank. I finished my contract and was Honorably dischared in 2002. So...

Red Flagged! [ 3 Answers ]

I recently filed bankruptcy and it has just been finalized. Before that I had a checking account with Wachovia for over 6 years and just before I filed bankruptcy my account was frozen and I had a balance due on the account of $150 (that was sent to creditors). I put this account as one of my...

Yellow-flagged "multimedia audio controller" [ 4 Answers ]

I keep getting a Bad directsound driver, Error code: 8878000A. In the device manager the "multimedia audio controller" under "other devices" is yellow flagged. I've tried to reinstall the driver but it is not found within my system and I don't have it saved anywhere nor do I have the original cd. ...

View more questions Search