Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Evil dead Posts: 116, Reputation: -5

Mar 19, 2007, 10:53 AM
    Pairs of forces
    I do not understand this. Newtons 3rd Law claims every force is met with another opposite and equal force.

Why then when I punched a spackle wall it breaks?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 11:27 AM
    I don't understand how you're using newton's third law to argue that it shouldn't.

Mar 19, 2007, 11:51 AM
    Wait am I mixed up?

It says that every force has an opposite that is the same size and magnitude. How would you prove this?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 12:19 PM
    Yes... but that has nothing to do with the wall breaking. You hit the board with a force greater than the materials strength. Thus it breaks.

The material exerts the same but opposite force on your hand, but your hand doesn't break because it's stronger..

I don't understand what you're confused about :)

Mar 19, 2007, 01:02 PM
    Thank you very much. That was such a simple explanation, when my teacher talked about it I was baffled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Identifying Forces [ 5 Answers ]

A block of dry ice resting on a table is given a brief push. A moment later, what forces act on the block?

Other Forces [ 2 Answers ]

Question: Besides its weight, a 2.70 kg object is subjected to one other constant force. The object starts from rest and in 1.20 s experiences a displacement of (4.20 - 3.30) m, where the direction of is the upward vertical direction. Determine the other force. Where do I begin??

Parallel forces and couple. [ 1 Answers ]

Define parallel forces and what's the difference between parallel forces and couple?

Buoyant forces [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, I just want to know when does a submarine experience greater buoyant force? Is it when it is near the surface of the ocean or near the ocean floor, considering gravity is the same for both situations.

Earthquakes and tidal forces [ 2 Answers ]

There have recently been two large earthquakes in California and Iran. They occurred at a time when Earth was close to perihelion. It was also close to a New Moon. Could there be a connection? Is there any correlation between earthquakes and astronomical movements?

View more questions Search