Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    terry dearen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 10:40 AM
    Cracked foundations
    I live in New mexico in a stucco house that was built 2 and a half years ago. Our house has started getting some cracks around the windows, horizontal cracks in the middle of walls, and a couple of cracks in the ceiling where the jonts come together. The back patio has separated from the house and the sidewalk around the house is beginning to separate from the house in places. The stucco on the outside is beginning to have cracks in places. Is the builder responsible for this or are we the owners. What is the worse that can happen if we leave unattended and how soon should work take place.. . or do we need to have a hardhat area-enter if you dare on our front door. Joking aside, this problem is keeping me up at night. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 19, 2007, 11:08 AM
    After 2 1/2 years your builder is pretty much off the hook unless you can prove fraud or not building per code. Many homes in your area are built on a slab, is this your situation? All exterior cracks should get at least some caulk to prevent rain from getting inside the structure. Some cracks in a new home can be expected as lumber and materials dry out. You may need to look into hiring a structural engineer to evaluated your home if it is really bad.
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Mar 19, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Excellent advice. Also take a look at your insurance policies and take a look at the agreements. Some states mandate that the builder insure demages like this for a period. You might just be iwithin that time.
    AngelicParadox Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2007, 09:25 PM
    Absolutely take a look at your agreements with the builder AND get a structural engineer in there. At 2 1/2 years you might be close if not already exceeded the warrantee period.

Also, if it were me? And the structural issues were still within warrantee? I would file a claim and send it certified mail to the builder. I had friends who once purchased a condo and had issues with the windows retaining moisture. They filed a complaint with the development company within the correct time frame and the company kept avoiding and avoiding them. Basically they were trying to draw the issue past the time frame of limitations. So if you still have some kind of warrantee get right on it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repairing and painting Block Foundations [ 2 Answers ]

Power washing my block foundation to remove old peeling, flaking paint has left pock marks and some loss of mortar in joints. How do I repair and then what type of primer paint should I use? (Don't know what the original paint was-oil based or latex). I'd appreciate your help. Thanks.

Foundations... Variations! I'm confused! [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Hello, everyone! I'm just new here.. anyway, I'm glad I was able to find this site.. thank God. And I hope you can help me. It seems that whatever type of foundation I use, creams, sticks, cakes... it doesn't work for me. Sometimes it makes my skin look dry, sometimes it makes my...

Rebar in foundations [ 2 Answers ]

If you have an old foundation that does not have rebar, and you are going to tear down the existing house and rebuild. Is there a way to reinforce with rebar in the existing foundation?

Embedded pole foundations [ 0 Answers ]

I am planning a cabin for part-time use. Does a pressure-treated, embedded pole foundation save that much over a reinforced footing and concrete block? To be sure of being below the frost line, I like the footing bottom to be about 32" below grade. Your input will be appreciated. Stoker

View more questions Search