Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VMichaelC Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2013, 10:25 PM
    Can I sue an insurance co. after car accident?
    Yesterday around 12 I was driving with my friends after school as I'm driving I have traffic ahead of me and behind me. A car shoots out and makes a illegal u-turn and before I could even react I smashed into him. My car was TOTALED, destroyed, it was a total loss. My car smoking my damn license plate was embedded in his car, my windshield was cracked, my entire front bumper was on the ground, it was real bad.

After the accident I went over to him to see if he was okay, he was shook up and told me it was his fault. Clearly it was his fault... The cops and the people around me told me it was his fault and there's nothing I could do..

The outcome of the accident I hurt my neck (nothing too serious), a sprained hand, my knee hurts even worse after a bone bruise after two months ago. And I'm also experiencing head aches. My friend hurt her jaw; she cannot close her mouth, the passenger hurt his chest. I know the passengers have to make their own case and its irreverent to me. The injuries wasn't too serious but my car was completely destroyed. The other driver didn't have a scratch on him.. As I walk over to his car to make sure he was okay I notice there was a 4 year old boy in the car an immediately I panicked hoping the boy was okay, he had no clue of what had happen..

I'm going to the doctors tomorrow for my neck. How much could I sue for?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 10:29 PM
    Do you have auto insurance? If so, did you report the accident to your agent?

Does the other driver have insurance?

Feb 26, 2013, 10:29 PM
    Yes and yes.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 10:31 PM
    Does the other driver have auto insurance?

Was there a police report and ambulance called?

Feb 26, 2013, 10:32 PM
    I'm sure he does. And yes there was police and multiple ambulances at the accident.

Feb 26, 2013, 10:32 PM
    I'm sure he does. And yes there was police and multiple ambulances at the accident. ***I'm sorry--there was a police report
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 10:33 PM
    You did not get his insurance and other information? Do you have a copy of the police report?

How old are you?

Feb 26, 2013, 10:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You did not get his insurance and other information? Do you have a copy of the police report?

How old are you?
    I'm not sure I would have to ask my parents. I'm sure I do. Lets say I do have the information. I just turned 18 last month.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 10:39 PM
    You're not sure you have a copy of the police report? Why not?

What happens is your insurance company deals with this, but you don't. Your insurance company assigns the case to an adjuster. He talks with police and the other driver and witnesses and any passengers and does a huge report on what are called the "facts of the accident." You need to find out who that adjuster is (or he will contact you), and you and maybe your father will be discussing the accident with him.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 10:43 PM
    You can't get a police report right away, it takes 24-48 hours in most places (my son is a police officer).

Were you injured? What are your injuries?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 10:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    You can't get a police report right away, it takes 24-48 hours in most places (my son is a police officer).
    Here in Chicagoland a police report is written up at the scene and copies given to each driver immediately.

Feb 26, 2013, 10:46 PM
    You're not sure you have a copy of the police report? Why not?

What happens is your insurance company deals with this, but you don't. Your insurance company assigns the case to an adjuster. He talks with police and the other driver and witnesses and any passengers and does a huge report on what are called the "facts of the accident." You need to find out who that adjuster is (or he will contact you), and you and maybe your father will be discussing the accident with him.
    I'm not sure because I went in the ambulance and that was that, after that all I've done was speak to State Farm and told them what happened. I did make a police report.

Well everything seems like its against him because he was simply wrong.. If it seems that way is their a good chance I could sue and win? Not that I'm sure you really know what exactly happened. I just need a clear head with this.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 10:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by VMichaelC View Post
    im not sure because I went in the ambulance and that was that, after that all I've done was speak to State Farm and told them what happened. I did make a police report.

Well everything seems like its against him because he was simply wrong.. If it seems that way is their a good chance I could sue and win? Not that I'm sure you really know what exactly happened. I just need a clear head with this.
    YOU are not the one who sues. Your adjuster will be contacting you to discuss the accident. SF would be the one who sues in your name, if it comes to that.

Just out of curiosity, why would you sue? He has insurance, you said.

Feb 26, 2013, 10:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post

Were you injured? What are your injuries?
    a sprained hand, my neck hurts to move side to side a little, I'm experiencing head aches and I had a knee injury 3 months ago which was a bone bruise the pain is starting to go away until the accident now it hurts a lot.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 10:51 PM
    a sprained hand, my neck hurts to move side to side a little, I'm experiencing head aches and I had a knee injury 3 months ago which was a bone bruise the pain is starting to go away until the accident now it hurts a lot.
    Keep all your medical bills. SF will will want copies. Your passengers should do the same.

Feb 26, 2013, 10:53 PM
    YOU are not the one who sues. Your adjuster will be contacting you to discuss the accident. SF would be the one who sues in your name, if it comes to that.

Just out of curiosity, why would you sue? He has insurance, you said.
    $$ plays a key part into this. Everyone wants money. I wouldn't sue the driver because I don't have the heart, it would have to do with insurance and what ever would happen with that. My brother told me about accidents of people and how simple it was and they got a decent amount of money. (Around 30,000)

I mean I am experiencing pain, my car is a total loss. If I have a chance to do something..
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 10:59 PM
    I mean I am experiencing pain, my car is a total loss. If I have a chance to do something..
    The other driver should have insurance to cover this -- and if not, your SF adjuster will know what to do from there. Your medical bills will be paid and you will be reimbursed for your car by his insurance company, if the accident is determined to be his fault.

Could the other driver come back at you later and say you were texting or goofing around with your passengers and not paying attention to your driving?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 11:04 PM
    A while back I was hit by a careless driver. She totaled my car, broke my wrist, broke my knee cap. I was in the hospital for 5 days, had surgery on my knee to have the knee cap wired together. 8 months later, back into surgery to have the wire removed.

Here is how it worked for me... my insurance company went after their insurance company for hospital bills, lost wages, therapy, our car... all of that.

I had more to worry about though. The knee injury will be with me the rest of my life... it will never be the same. I can't kneel. I can't squat to lift something... it affected me in the line of work I was trained to do. I sued.

I hired a lawyer and sued the driver... what happens is that suing the driver is just how it's done. The driver isn't the one that pays it out though, it is their insurance company.

So... your car and hospital bills are taken care of by your insurance company who then goes after their insurance company for reimbursement. Beyond that, if you need or want more out of it, you have to hire your own lawyer and he will guide you on how to proceed.

Based on what you said though, I don't think I would be suing unless the injuries are more severe than what you describe.

Feb 26, 2013, 11:04 PM
    The other driver should have insurance to cover this -- and if not, your SF adjuster will know what to do from there. Your medical bills will be paid and you will be reimbursed for your car if the accident is determined to be his fault.

Could the other driver come back at you later and say you were texting or goofing around with your passengers and not paying attention to your driving?
    I was doing nothing but focusing on the road. I'm not even sure if he even saw me, because he came out of no where really.. He did admit it was his fault and State Farm and the police stated I am at zero fault.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 11:05 PM
    I was doing nothing but focusing on the road. I'm not even sure if he even saw me, because he came out of no where really.. He did admit it was his fault and State Farm and the police stated I am at zero fault.
    So you have talked with SF? (new information!)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Driving whit out car insurance and got into a car accident [ 2 Answers ]

I was in a car accident on Oct 24 2012 and didn't have any car insurance. Not that I didn't want to pay its because I got hurt at work ended up getting surgery making me lose 6 months of work all together causing me to be behind on my bills and not being able to afford insurance and other bills....

Car accident with a borrowed car that has insurance, but the driver has no license? [ 1 Answers ]

What will happen when there's a car accident, but the driver has no license. There is insurance on the car. The driver was cited. What will happen if there's no damage at all on either vehicle? It was a minor rear-ender. What will happen in Texas?

Car accident my car with insurance but no license [ 8 Answers ]

I had a car accident with my car with an insurance cover but no valid license but provisional driving licence which I have accepted liability of,what would be the repercussions

Car Accident Totaled My Car.. Insurance Paid Out Low Blue Book Can I? [ 2 Answers ]

I was rear-ended Recently That The Insurance called a total lost on my car.. The insurance company paid me out on the low blue book On My vehicle.. The other party's Insurance has not made contact with me... I have to purchase another vehicle... I found a vehicle to purchase but the cost is...

View more questions Search