Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VMichaelC Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2013, 11:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    A while back I was hit by a careless driver. She totaled my car, broke my wrist, broke my knee cap. I was in the hospital for 5 days, had surgery on my knee to have the knee cap wired together. 8 months later, back into surgery to have the wire removed.

Here is how it worked for me....my insurance company went after their insurance company for hospital bills, lost wages, therapy, our car...all of that.

I had more to worry about though. The knee injury will be with me the rest of my life...it will never be the same. I can't kneel. I can't squat to lift something....it affected me in the line of work I was trained to do. I sued.

I hired a lawyer and sued the driver...what happens is that suing the driver is just how it's done. The driver isn't the one that pays it out though, it is their insurance company.

So....your car and hospital bills are taken care of by your insurance company who then goes after their insurance company for reimbursement. Beyond that, if you need or want more out of it, you have to hire your own lawyer and he will guide you on how to proceed.

Based on what you said though, I don't think I would be suing unless the injuries are more severe than what you describe.
    Thank you this was very important. And I'm sorry about all of that, driving is no joke, some people just don't pay attention for some reason I don't know.

So what you're saying is not to sue and let my insurance do all the business? But let say if I ignore this and sue, what would happen?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 11:09 PM
    Here in Chicagoland a police report is written up at the scene and copies given to each driver immediately.
    That is a preliminary report. Not a complete and comprehensive report.

Feb 26, 2013, 11:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    So you have talked with SF? (new information!)
    Yes I spoke to SF. Yesterday they called and I had to answer questions while being recorded.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 11:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by VMichaelC View Post
    So what you're saying is not to sue and let my insurance do all the business? But let say if I ignore this and sue, what would happen?
    Your lawyer would stop you from suing because you haven't dealt with this through insurance first. You just don't go out there and sue.
    Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 11:11 PM
    You don't sue. Your insurance company sues. You will want to keep complete records of your medical bills and copies to SF. You submit everything to your insurance company. They will be the ones to negotiate the recovery of the vehicle as well as the pain and suffering.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 11:12 PM
    Yes I spoke to SF. Yesterday they called and I had to answer questions while being recorded.
    Good. You have the adjustor's name and phone number? Call him and talk to him about the suing thing. odinn7 explained it nicely, apparently better than I have been trying to do.

Feb 26, 2013, 11:14 PM
    Thanks guys this was all very important notes. This did happen a little more than 24 hours ago. I am going to the doctors tomorrow. So I'll just see what happens with insurance and after that.

Much appreciated. Thanks!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 11:16 PM
    Ignore what?

Your insurance company takes care of all the needs... you only sue if you need personal injury settlement. In your case, I am saying that it doesn't sound like much really happened to you... of course, I can't judge that online. As far as your car and the doctor bills, the insurance company will take care of that.

Feb 26, 2013, 11:16 PM
    Good. You have the adjustor's name and phone number? Call him and talk to him about the suing thing. odinn7 explained it nicely, apparently better than I have been trying to do.
    I have the number written down. After the doctors tomorrow I will speak to my parents and discuss the situation. Are there anything I should expect tomorrow or the next few days?

So far all I have done was placed a police report, went to the hospital and spoke to State Farm about the incident.

Feb 26, 2013, 11:18 PM
    Ignore what?

Your insurance company takes care of all the needs....you only sue if you need personal injury settlement. In your case, I am saying that it doesn't sound like much really happened to you....of course, I can't judge that online. As far as your car and the doctor bills, the insurance company will take care of that.
    I apologize, I fully get the idea of how this works.
    Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 11:24 PM
    At this point I don't see that you have permanent or disabling disabilities. There is no need to consult a personal injury attorney, just from your accounts alone.

All you or your parents can do is keep in touch with SF and provide any and all documents they require.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 11:28 PM
    So far all I have done was placed a police report, went to the hospital and spoke to State Farm about the incident.
    Feel free to call your adjuster (not the agent) who was assigned to your accident and ask questions. He may want you to draw a picture of the streets and traffic flow and which car did what, but maybe not -- he may have enough information. Just relax and let him handle this. And get your medical problems looked at and worked on.

Feb 26, 2013, 11:31 PM
    Feel free to call your adjuster (not the agent) who was assigned to your accident and ask questions. He may want you to draw a picture of the streets and traffic flow and which car did what, but maybe not -- he may have enough information. Just relax and let him handle this. And get your medical problems looked at and worked on.
    will do, thanks for the advice and filling my head with knowledge about this situation.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 11:34 PM
    will do, thanks for the advice and filling my head with knowledge about this situation.
    Let us know what happens. I have had SF since before the Grand Canyon was formed, and used to work for them, and I know you are in good hands!

Feb 26, 2013, 11:42 PM
    Let us know what happens. I have had SF since before the Grand Canyon was formed, and used to work for them, and I know you are in good hands!
    will do I will bookmark this thread and reveal the information. Thanks
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 27, 2013, 06:40 PM
    ....you only sue if you need personal injury settlement. ...
    That's not quite accurate.

If the other driver's insurance company won't settle out-of-court for what you and your lawyers (provided by your insurance company) feel you have coming (including personal injury), then they would advise you to sue. The insurer-paid lawyers will still represent you if a lawsuit is needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Driving whit out car insurance and got into a car accident [ 2 Answers ]

I was in a car accident on Oct 24 2012 and didn't have any car insurance. Not that I didn't want to pay its because I got hurt at work ended up getting surgery making me lose 6 months of work all together causing me to be behind on my bills and not being able to afford insurance and other bills....

Car accident with a borrowed car that has insurance, but the driver has no license? [ 1 Answers ]

What will happen when there's a car accident, but the driver has no license. There is insurance on the car. The driver was cited. What will happen if there's no damage at all on either vehicle? It was a minor rear-ender. What will happen in Texas?

Car accident my car with insurance but no license [ 8 Answers ]

I had a car accident with my car with an insurance cover but no valid license but provisional driving licence which I have accepted liability of,what would be the repercussions

Car Accident Totaled My Car.. Insurance Paid Out Low Blue Book Can I? [ 2 Answers ]

I was rear-ended Recently That The Insurance called a total lost on my car.. The insurance company paid me out on the low blue book On My vehicle.. The other party's Insurance has not made contact with me... I have to purchase another vehicle... I found a vehicle to purchase but the cost is...

View more questions Search