Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NYworker1099 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2013, 09:35 PM
    Unemployment benefits for a 1099 worker
    I have worked 5 years with the same company and received a w2. The company was taken over by another company. My last day as an employee was 1/31/13. The current company asked me to stay on for 2 months to help with the transition. I will receive a 1099. Will I be able to apply for unemployment benefits when my contract ends? Should I apply now? This is in NY.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2013, 06:32 AM
    You would be collecting not on your 1099 work history.. as a self employed individual you would not qualify... however you COULD apply based on your previous 5 year work history where you weren't technically self employed..
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 27, 2013, 06:42 AM
    Given that you have another month of contract work, I would go talk to the Unemployment Office about applying now or then. I have a feeling that they will say then. But apply the very day you stop working.
    Assuming that you were properly laid off, you can collect from the next day. I'm not positive about what happens when you are hired to stay on as a contractor. Strictly speaking, it wasn't an IRS legal arrangement. You don't qualify as a contractor, working on their premises, and with no other income, and no insurance of your own. Those are just 3 of many requirements for them to pay you that way.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 27, 2013, 10:19 AM
    You should be able to qualify for UI benefits. However you will be required to report any contract work for which you receive income in each pay period. In other words, you would get reduced UI benefits.

As Joy indicates, 1099 "independent contractor" is frequently a ploy on the part of an employer to evade employment taxes. If you are not actually an "independent contractor", your employer can, in theory, get in trouble for tax evasion. That wouldn't be your concern, however, in my opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unemployment benefits [ 2 Answers ]

I filed after layoff last Dec. went back to work Februay until layoff September. Unemployment Benefits ended (+emergency benefits) October. I can refile in December since I worked again (so they say at the unemployment office. In the meantime I have been contractng work sporadically for just once...

Can I get unemployment if I had unemployment then got a 1099 and then lost my job? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if I can still get unemployment if I used to have and it got extended but I started working as a sub contractor and then lost my job. May I go back and still collect that unemployment? Thanks...

1099 form for unemployment benefits [ 1 Answers ]

Have my 1099 been mailed already?

Unemployment Benefits [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, I have currently been unemployed for a month. I was fired from my previous job. However, the job before that I quit, I put in my two weeks and that was that. It was a little over a year ago. And someone told me that I might be able to claim unemployment benefits based on that job,...

Unemployment benefits [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Ohio. I am the only employee in my organization. I have been told that they are not required to pay into unemployment and that I am not entitled to it in case of lay off because there are less than 4 employees. I thought everyone was entitled to it if they worked. Can anyone give me some...

View more questions Search