Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fordpos Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Ignition control module short where?
    I have a 1991 Ford Ranger 4 wheel drive with the 2.3L 4 cylinder engine. It has new wires, coil packs, and crank shaft position sensor. There are no burnt wires, fuses, or fusible links. There are also no chafed, pinched, or loose wires or connections in the harness yet I keep burning the Ignition Control Module and I cannot find the short. Again all wiring checks out.

Any help in finding the problem will be grateful.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Try and separate sections of the wiring harness and test for continuity through each pin. I've used this technique several times, when I couldn't locate a short. Afterwards, I could plainly see it.
    fordpos Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    Try and separate sections of the wiring harness and test for continuity through each pin. I've used this technique several times, when I couldn't locate a short. Afterwards, I could plainly see it.

I've done that about five times now and I have also isolated the wire with black tape to prevent further damage and to keep circuts isolated from each outer as much as possible.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 12:21 PM
    If that's true, try substituting a known good ECU.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where Is Ignition Module 1992 Honda Accord Ex [ 12 Answers ]

My Car Won't Start And I'm Not Getting Any Spark From The Coil, So I Replaced The Coil To No Avail. I Guess The Next Thing Is The Ignition Module.. can Anyone Please Tell Me Where It Is Located... thanks

Lennox Ignition Pilot Control Module [ 3 Answers ]

My problem with my Lennox furnace (model G23Q-3/4-100-2) is blowing cool air, and only occasionally heat was diagnosed as needing a Universal Pilot Module, part #53L9001 also known as 53L90. Question, if we purchase the part how difficult is the installation?

1990 Honda Civic Ex Ignition Module Location [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to find mine as I think it's causeing my problems but I'm unable to locate it. Anyone know how to find it. Thanks

1992 ignition module location [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the location of the ignition module on a 1992 Pontiac Grand Am, 4 cylinder (2.3 liter)?

Intermittent Pilot Ignition Control Wiring Help? [ 2 Answers ]

I have an older Carrier gas furnace. The Intermittent Pilot Ignition Control is short cycling. I ordered a replacement one. However, with everything else now days, the newer one does not match the older one. The older one (p/n 50D49-401) has three brown wires, one red wire, one white wire, one...

View more questions Search