Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    znnjnn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Who's liable for crimes committed using your 'former car'
    My mother in law had a car that she took to a shop for repairs... It would cost $1000 to repair, more than the car was worth, so she decline to have it fixed (The car did not run at this point)... She gave the car to the repair shop. She cannot remember if she transferred the tittle, since this happened over three years ago... I assume that it must still be in her name since the police tracked her down...
    Anyway, she just received a call from police stating that this car has been been used in gas robberies, among other crimes, and that she is responsible for the stolen items and fines for that abandoned / impounded car, plus other fines...
    I would understand if she was responsible for a fine for not properly ensuring that the title was transferred, but is she responsible for the crimes committed in this car?
    What about the car shop? Would they be responsible for any of this, as they apparently did one of the following:
    1) Fixed the car and used it for their own use (this would make me think they committed the crimes)
    OR
    2) Fixed the car and gave it away without notifying her (would this mean they stole the car?)
    OR
    3) Fixed the car and sold it (Would this mean that the profited from selling a stolen vehicle, if she were still found to be the legal owner)
    As for the last two, the car repair shop, would at least have the name of the person they gave / sold the car to... If this were the case, and they found the person that actually committed the crimes, would she still be held responsible as well?
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Mar 19, 2007, 10:35 AM
    I believe she can be held liable. Not specifically for committing the crime, but for damages and stolen goods if found in her car. SHE NEEDED TO TRANSFER THE TITLE WITHIN 10 DAYS of the sell. This is why the DMV emphasizes this. Their forms actually say "release your liability."

Seek a criminal defense attorney, not the public defender. They will want to negotiate your case.

Good luck to your mother in law.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Hello znn:

She would be responsible for all the fines relating to the car such as towing, storage, impound fees, etc. Plus, if anyone was hurt or if damage was caused by the car, then she'd be liable for that too.

But she's NOT liable for crimes committed by anyone, other than herself. And, she is NOT liable for the stolen merchandise found in the car.

Yes, the repair shop has some culpability, but none that matters to your mother-in-law. She's responsible for what she's responsible for because of what she did, not because of what the repair shop did.

I doubt the cops told her that she had to pay anything for stolen stuff. That's not what cops do.

Her next move depends on the cops next move.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Serial killers making money off their crimes [ 5 Answers ]

I'm doing a study on serial killers, and I'm wondering if there are any federal laws preventing serial killers from making profit off their crimes. I would also like to know how many of all murders in the US are "separate" incindents, and how many of all murders in the US are to be considered...

Who is liable? [ 3 Answers ]

A week agao I went to a garage for gas & also asked the attendant to check my oil,when I drove away about a half mile ,my hood flew up and smashed my windshield in,after pulling over ,I immediately returned to the garage ,they refuse to pay for the damages to my vehichle saying my hood ;latch must...

Who's liable - if anyone? [ 14 Answers ]

Hello: An obviously mentally handicapped individual pays for a brand new truck with $30,000 in cash. The salesman breaks into the guys home, steals $100,000 in cash, and gets caught (after the money's gone). Is the dealer liable? excon PS> Seattle PI - today.

Liable for unknown debts? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of filing for divorce. I recently found out that my spouse took out a loan for a four-wheeler and a consolidation loan for our credit cards. I was never notified by the lenders that my husband had been granted these loans. Am I still liable for paying half of them. Angel -...

View more questions Search