Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2013, 03:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again,

It's time for stimulus anyway.. NOT austerity.. Austerity will turn us into Europe. I thought you guy's HATED Europe.

excon
    because stimulus worked so well in 2009.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2013, 04:49 AM
    Yes Tom that's the reason given, but it has to be the right sort of stimulus, like returning jobs from outside.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 28, 2013, 06:10 AM
    The link didn't work for me,but we have had this argument before, so I have my own link here

Did the stimulus work? A review of the nine best studies on the subject - The Washington Post

So I ask again was it the tax cuts, the state aid, or the infrastructure projects that didn't work in the stimulus? Be very careful because many states are still spending the money including my own state TEXAS, on highways and roads.

So while you SAY it didn't work, it bought time and resources albeit temporary, but most states, like Texas, leveraged it into many projects. So the idea of doing NOTHING, while attractive to your side it seems, falls flat in the face of REAL evidence state by state. But I know why you guys holler it didn't work, its obvious you don't want to do it again.

You rather let corporations keep their welfare checks while they don't create jobs. And make grandma and her babies the victims of your capitalism.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2013, 06:23 AM
    Yeah, we've had a nearly year long project cutting ADA ramps into sidewalks. Those nine guys are doing OK.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2013, 06:37 AM
    Odd, but since Woodward went public over the WH threatening him Obama's tone has changed. Suddenly most of us aren't going to notice the sequester. The sky isn't going to fall after all.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 28, 2013, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Yeah, we've had a nearly year long project cutting ADA ramps into sidewalks. Those nine guys are doing ok.
    You really should get around your own state more.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2013, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    You really should get around your own state more.
    It's a really big state.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2013, 12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Odd, but since Woodward went public over the WH threatening him Obama's tone has changed. Suddenly most of us aren't going to notice the sequester. The sky isn't going to fall after all.
    I wonder if the MSM will circle the wagons around an elder statesman ;or perhaps throw him under the bus ?
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2013, 12:16 PM
    Some have already thrown him under the bus, but Lanny Davis says his paper was threatened over a column they didn't like.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2013, 12:23 PM
    Uh ohh... Now Zero is messing with a Clintonista .
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2013, 12:36 PM
    Gee... now the lefties are beginning to see what we have been saying about Owebama for 5 years now.

Its about time...
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2013, 12:42 PM
    Useful idiots are frequently disposable
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2013, 01:40 PM
    Hello right wing economists:

How does the government buying FEWER airplanes create jobs? How does the government buying LESS concrete add jobs? In fact, how does the government spending LESS on EVERYTHING create jobs?

Inquiring minds want to know.

excon
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2013, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post

How does the government buying FEWER airplanes create jobs? How does the government buying LESS concrete add jobs? In fact, how does the government spending LESS on EVERYTHING create jobs?

excon
    Because the government isn't spending THEIR money... they are spending OUR money... which means WE have less money to spend. WE earn wealth... THEY are like parasites that suck your blood until you die from blood loss.
    Mcsap9213 Posts: 99, Reputation: 10

Feb 28, 2013, 01:59 PM
    If the government let us keep more of our money ( its called less taxes) , than WE cous spend it on things we want to buy which would stimulate the economy. Letting the government decide where to spend our money for this purpose ISS rarely beneficial in the short or long run.

Cut my taxes by $2,000 and I will have $ 2,000 more to spend.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2013, 02:27 PM
    Hello Mc:

I'm cool with smaller government.. Which government services should we do without? I've got several. I could pare the government wayyyy down. But, you go first.

excon
    Mcsap9213 Posts: 99, Reputation: 10

Feb 28, 2013, 02:32 PM
    Dept of Education. Let each state run their own state. It would be OK to have a national standard or guideline but let the penalty for non compliance reduced or a stop of federal funding.

IRS.

FLAT tax for all. No " War and Peace " book of tax regulations.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2013, 02:40 PM

Planes we don't need are a waste of money .planes that are dogs like the F-35 are a waste of money . As far as concrete goes ,that is the broken window fallacy. If what you said made sense then it also makes sense to have a crew making pot holes for the crew to fill them in .
    What is the broken window fallacy?

Further ,the sequester does not cut baseline government spending. It slows the rate of growth of government spending. But leave it to the Dems to say that a $110 billion increase in spending over 10 years is a cut .
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2013, 02:41 PM
    Hello again, Mc:

It WOULDN'T be my choice to whack the Department of Education, but in the spirit of compromise, I would... If you'd agree to end the DEA, the NSA, the TSA and the CCofA.

There's still lots more to cut.. This is fun. Your turn.

excon
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2013, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcsap9213 View Post
    Dept of Education. Let each state run their own state. It would be ok to have a national standard or guideline but let the penalty for non compliance reduced or a stop of federal funding.

IRS.

FLAT tax for all. No " War and Peace " book of tax regulations.
    Yup ,especially the flat tax and elimination of the IRS... or 99% of the bloated bureaucracy. Would be tough on people who have made a career as accountants gaming the system too. Maybe they would need to get real jobs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search