Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kellyapride Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2013, 01:19 PM
    15 year old daughter with cysts on both of her ovaries
    Hi I have a 15 year old daughter who was recently told that she has cysts on both of her ovaries. Her last period was around Feb. 8th and she later became ill on Saturday, Feb. 16th. She was vomited twice that day and twice on Sunday, complaining of headache, and lower abdomen pain. That Monday she seemed to be fine and went to school on Tuesday. The nurse called me and had me pick her up because she was vomiting. I later took her to see her doctor who felt like she had a stomach virus and prescribed Ondansetron for her vomiting. Wednesday and Thursday she was fine but still had the lower abdominal pain, headache and off and on nausea. Friday she vomited twice and complained of severe headache, lower abdominal pain, nausea, lower back pain and aches. Saturday, Feb 23rd I took her to the emergency room to be on the safe side and because I truly felt like this wasn’t a virus. They did a urinalysis and blood work that was fine. Upon pressing on her abdomen she felt a lot of pain on both sides…but more so on her left. The doctors were concerned and mentioned a possible pelvic exam but one was not done. Instead, an ultrasound was done and the only thing it showed was a cyst on her right ovary. They were unable to see her other ovary. They then mentioned doing a cat scan but first gave her an enema since she hadn’t had a bowel movement since Wednesday/Thursday. It relieved her pain just a little but she still felt nauseas, had the abdominal and back pain and the headache and at one point had a low-grade fever. They wanted to send her home because they thought her symptoms were due to constipation. I insisted that they do the cat scan since the ultrasound didn’t show much but the cyst on her right ovary and also since we couldn’t see anything on the left side…which is where the bulk of her pain was. The cat scan showed that her other organs were fine and showed that she had many cysts on her left ovary. We were pretty much discharged from the ER and told to follow up with her doctor and gynecologist. So my question is…should there be cause for concern at her age and the fact that she is not sexually active?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 24, 2013, 01:56 PM
    It is very good idea to make an appointment with a GYNE. Polycystic ovaries are actually quite common and have nothing to do with sex.

I would also like to advise you regarding the CT scan that you insisted on. Did you realize that one CT scan exposes you to the same amount of radiations as having 175 x-rays? Just a word of caution for the future. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hello, I am a 25 year old female, with several painful ovarian cysts, one of which is [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a 25 year old female, with several painful ovarian cysts, one of which is over 6cm. Over the course of the last three months, I have experienced severe pain, and spotting. I've been seeing doctors for it, and had a surgical consult yesterday. The surgeon suggested waiting two months,...

More Cysts on my ovaries [ 8 Answers ]

I know I need to see the doctor. The earliest opening is on the 20th, though, and I'm freaking out a bit. Had an ultrasound on Friday. The results are that my ovaries are polycystic--which I already knew--and that I have a rather large cyst on my right ovary. I had surgery last year to...

Irregular Period, Cysts in ovaries. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am 24 years old with a 3 year old. Ever since I have given birth I have had irregular periods. My average cycle is 38 days but my past cycle was 51 days and now after that cycle I haven't received my period since Feb. 23 and it is now the 5th of May. My Hormones are semi-normal... but I...

View more questions Search