Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eddiemillan1 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2013, 12:41 PM
    Las Vegas child support laws
    My sister lives in Las Vegas, NV and her daughter’s father lives in California.
    She wants to apply for child support but doesn’t know where to start this at. Would she need to apply in Nevada or California?
    What child support laws apply in her case? (Nevada or California child support laws/where the child resides or where the father resides?)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 24, 2013, 12:59 PM
    If there was no previous court action jurisdiction is where the child lives.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 24, 2013, 02:12 PM
    Did she just move to Nevada ?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 24, 2013, 02:47 PM
    As far as I know (without examining in detail the pertinent statutes of both states), she can sue for child support in either state. The law of the state where she sues applies.

It's called "forum shopping".
    eddiemillan1 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2013, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Did she just move to Nevada ?
    No. she's been there for several years now.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 25, 2013, 07:19 PM
    SHe starts in Nevada where her and the child lives. The only reason why I had asked about her living there was to find out residency. If the breakup had been recent and she just moved there then California would have been the place to file.

So she is safe to file in Nevada.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Going to las vegas [ 3 Answers ]

Im a registared sex offender, but I'm offf probation. Do I need to registar?

Evictions in Las Vegas NV [ 3 Answers ]

My rent is due on the 1st of each month (apartment complex), as of the 4th it is late ($50 for the 1st day and $5 each day after till rent is paid). Because of the unemployment bills inability to pass congress, I went to managers office and explained that rent would be late, waiting for congress to...

How to drop a child custody in las vegas [ 21 Answers ]

I filed a child custody case on my girlfriend but we got back together and we have a case management conference soon how can I stop the court procedures

Tenant laws, las vegas, nv [ 5 Answers ]

OK, just this past weekend I moved into a new rental property. The property manager of the old home is telling me she isn't giving me my deposit due to the fact she has to repaint . I was under the impression that after a year of someone living in a property it is required to paint anyway, without...

View more questions Search