Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stacey2312 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2013, 04:35 AM
    Falling in love with someone else? Please help...
    Hello,

I'm sure this is a predicament that has come up one thousand times, but I just need to get this out of my system somehow...

I've been with my boyfriend for 5 years (Im 23) and he is my rock. We live together and work at the same place.. However. I cannot stop thinking about someone else. He has been one of my best friends for nearly 10 years. I have never really stopped thinking about him but for some reason its getting worse again now. I hadn't seen him for nearly a year and we met up last week. I was so nervous and when I saw him I thought I might throw up, I had to hide my shakiness for about half an hour. One week on and I feel like I'm just deteriorating as a person. I can't eat and I daydream for 10 minutes at a time without noticing. All I can think about is him.

My boyfriend is the perfect guy. Loving, honest, kind and I genuinly think I couldn't live without him. I really feel like I'm falling out of love with him because of the other guy though.

I am in such a horrible situation at the moment as Im about to start looking for jobs and finding a career. I just put my head to anything at the moment. I am hoping this might pass but I don't know.

Thank you for any advice.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 24, 2013, 06:22 AM
    You are young, and have been with the same guy since you were 18. It's understandable that after 5 years, no matter how solid your boyfriend is, you are missing the old excitement of romance without even realizing it.
    What to do? You can't win. I'm not going to tell you what to do, but you have to do something, or you will make life miserable for your nice boyfriend who loves you. I will suggest that you not jump into bed with the old friend before breaking up with the boyfriend. You may be alone for a while, you may even lose both of them, but that's the way it goes. You should be able to be alone anyway. It might be that time of your life when you need to do that while you sort out this stage of your life.
    melly45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2013, 07:18 PM
    Almost in the exact situation. Early 20s, with boyfriend for over 5 years, and just starting to feel like we might have more differences than similarities. However, I adore him and his family. He loves my family and is great with my nieces and nephews. I am afraid that I am staying with him for our families and because I don't want to hurt him. But there is someone else who I have started to have really strong feelings for. I don't want to hurt my boyfriend and I always thought we would be together forever, but I am just afraid that as we have grown and matured we have grown apart and not together. I love him so much, but I just have this nagging feeling that we will just continue to grow apart from one another and that it could end up much worse for one or both of us in the long run. Good luck with figuring out what to do. I hope we both make the right decision, whatever that is.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 26, 2013, 07:30 PM
    This is why the young people in my generation (and earlier) didn't usually move in together before marriage -- you lose all your wiggle room when you do, and too often someone's heart gets broken.

You're going to have to 'fess up and be honest with him. Please do not continue this relationship on a lie -- you will certainly regret it and hate yourself (and hate him too).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Falling in love again [ 8 Answers ]

After 13 years of being with the same person, 6 years of that is marriage.. can you fall in love with that person again?

Falling in love with someone else [ 3 Answers ]

What do you do when you're with someone who should be perfect for you. They're pretty much your age, they're clever, funny and just generally lovely, everyone thinks you're good together, and there is a part of you that does want to be with them, but deep down you think you're falling in love with...

Falling in love [ 1 Answers ]

Do you think you can fall in love at any age?

Falling out of love [ 14 Answers ]

Why do people fall out of love?

Falling in Love... [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, so I've liked this guy since like 2nd grade. And I dinally just told him like 5-6 months ago while walking home with him (except he didn't know I was walking home with him, he just happened to think we were walking in the same direction) and then when he turned to his neighborhood I said OK...

View more questions Search