Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikokin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2013, 02:33 PM
    Pay taxes receiving money from overseas
    I have a property overseas and I am selling it, once it sold and want to bring the money (profit) here in the U.S. do I have to pay taxes? Is there a limit of how much money I can transfer to U.S. to my bank from my account overseas?
    Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 04:19 PM
    Are you a U.S. citizen, green card holder or resident alien?

If yes, you must pay taxes on the capital gain on the sale, which is reported on Schedule D and Form 8949.

If no, no taxes are due, but you MAY have to report the transfer using Form 3520.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Money overseas transfer from foreign national mother to US born child - taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I have researched similar questions on this forum, but I think my case is unique enough to warrant a new thread... My apology if this has been asked before. Your help will be very appreciated! The facts: I am living in America as an H1B visa holder. My whole family is in my...

If my wife send me money from overseas do I have to pay taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US citizen an my wife is a US permanent resident. We live in New Jersey. My wife has some family business in her native country. She is looking to bring some of that money via wire transfer to our account in the USA. Do we have to pay taxes on that money?

How does receiving money from a sale of a house abroad affect your taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

My son is going to receive money from a house I donated to him in Mexico in 1998. The house is to be sold and he will receive the full payment of the sale. He then plans to transfer the money to me in the U.S.j He and I are American Citizens. How will the money payment to him by international...

Income taxes on money receive from sale of property overseas [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I am looking for advice for the following question. I have an apartment in Russia , it is on my name. I want to sell it and transfer the money to my US bank account so I could later buy a house in US. My mother also wants to add some more money to help me buy it. My questions are: 1....

After receiving a court judgement, no money to pay? [ 3 Answers ]

When a person gets a court judgement to pay some debt ($$$) to a financial institute (in this case collection agency), and doesn't have any asset (no house, nothing valuable) to be seized and doesn't have a wage to be garnished, what does the other party do? Just sit and wait? Or harrass everyday?...

View more questions Search