Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brasherma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2013, 09:46 AM
    Is there any assistance for Widows under 60?
    I'm a widow age 55 and need financial assistance, is there any assistance that I can receive now? I've applied for Social Security from my husband but was told I have to wait until 62 to collect. Is there any other assistance programs out there for widows of my age?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2013, 11:02 AM
    Have you contacted your County and State Offices? There are many types of financial aid, and they vary by State - help with heat, utilities, health insurance, food, rent, etc.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 11:06 AM
    Also, check with the reference desk at your local public library. This has become a far too frequent question, so most libraries have pulled together a file full of resource names and contact numbers of financial and psychological and social helps for those struggling to meet their daily needs.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 22, 2013, 03:55 PM
    55 is just not considered old. You don't have minor children, I assume. If you own your home, you probably won't find any assistance. You can sell and move to a cheaper condo, or get roommates, and look for a job. I got a roommate at 65.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grants for Widows [ 12 Answers ]

I lost my husband a couple years ago and now I have lost my home and am homeless with 2 older children still living at home Do you know of any resources that can help me? I really don't want my children to be in a shelter.

Widows Pension [ 4 Answers ]

I became a widow at age 39 and received an allowance because I had a minor son. He was cut off his benefits by age 18 and I was cut off before he turned 18. Can someone tell me if now that I am 55 years of age can I collect a widow's pension or do I have to wait until age 60. Also, is there chance...

Widows pension? [ 1 Answers ]

If I remarry, can I still get Social Security from my ex husband?

Widows pension [ 1 Answers ]

I will be 60 in Nov... My husband died in Dec. 2007 after a long illness of which he was collecting SS disability... will I be able to get widows penision? How many years does it last? I have recently lost my job and have several more months of unemployment... will that affect either benefit??

Widows pension [ 2 Answers ]

I am 60 years old my husband passed away while he was collecting his social security benefits am I entitled to any of it?

View more questions Search