Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chloe98 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2013, 06:11 PM
    Broken thumb
    My thumb's really painful and bruised I can move it but with considerable amount of pain is it broken?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 21, 2013, 06:16 PM
    Doctor time!!

Feb 21, 2013, 06:22 PM
    Strange lump and bruise on back of hand?
    I've got a lump on the back off my hand with a very large bruise what is this? Its right where my vien is?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2013, 06:25 PM
    That's a sensitive area if you've smacked it on something recently? If you haven't is it hot if you place it on your cheek?

Feb 21, 2013, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    That's a sensitive area if you've smacked it on something recently? If you haven't is it hot if you place it on your cheek?
    Yes I have smacked it on something but it is very painfull and hot to?
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2013, 06:35 PM
    Put a little ice on it for short periods... not too much or too long. The swelling will go down.

Not a lot of flesh there to cushion it it you hit it.

If you can move all your fingers you likely broke nothing... if it hurts as bad or worse tomorrow... consider seeing a doctor. But I'm going to guess its going to sart feeling better tomorrow, having done this a few times myself.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2013, 06:53 PM
    Let me check. Lay very still, I'll have to take an x-ray.

Oh wait... I can't do that online. Guess you'll have to go to a doctor who can.
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2013, 06:56 PM
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/medical-conditions-diseases/broken-thumb-735475.html

Again, we can't tell you what's going on, you'll have to see a doctor.

You've posted about this issue twice, with very different info.

See your doctor, we can only guess, and we definitely can't do an x-ray which is what you need to have done if you think your thumb is broken.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 21, 2013, 07:04 PM
    Did you do something that makes you think you broke it? I have had more broken bones than I can remember... I feel I am a broken bone expert... In general, a broken finger will not move easily at all... pretty much you will know it's broken. On the other hand, I can say that I have had broken bones that I thought were just sprains until I had them checked.

So really, what I'm saying here is that you need to see a doctor as there is no sure way for us to tell you the answer. If it is broken, you will need to have something done about it so it doesn't heal wrong.
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2013, 08:02 PM
    There is a big difference between the lump and bruise on the back of your hand... and a bruised thumb you can move only with considerable pain.

You had two threads.. which were combined... which is true?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 21, 2013, 08:20 PM
    I have 2 broken fingers and neither was ever X rayed. All they do is put a drug store splint on them. One I broke when a doctor friend was in town and she told me that, so I never went to any doctors.
    The 15 year old one is all lumpy. It got lumpier just recently. The newer one still hurts after 6 months. All that combined with arthritis and my hands are getting pretty gnarly.
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2013, 08:34 PM
    I've had two broken fingers as well. The first was xrayed, properly cared for, and if you put a gun to my head, I probably wouldn't be able to tell you, with certainty, which finger is was.

The second I didn't get xrayed, I also bought a splint and just put it on for 6 weeks. That was many years ago, and it still hurts, and is crooked. It hurts so bad at times that I can't sleep because of the pain.

So I would definitely recommend an x-ray, and proper care.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 21, 2013, 08:41 PM
    What is proper care? Too late for me. Was told it would have to be re-broken. And I tend to scar a lot, so the lumps just keep getting lumpier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Missouri: Rental House Broken In, Who is responsible for repairs to broken window? [ 2 Answers ]

The tenant was gone for a couple of weeks and over the break, there was a burglary and the burglar had broken into the kitchen window. Who is responsible for repairs to the broken window, the tenant or the landlord? And what are the Missouri laws relevant to this issue?

Broken thumb nail [ 3 Answers ]

So I was at work and I was playing with my friend and her hand hit my thumbnail I have really long acrylic nails and my nail bent Back. It was bleeding really bad and I'm in so much pain I can bend it back all the way to my cuticle the acrylic is still hanging on to my real nail what do I do!?

How to help Thumb heal when it's not broken but it hurts for months? [ 0 Answers ]

I damaged myself doing office work. Paper work, flipping through pages fast and turning them over fast. At the time, I just felt a little painful moment andignored it.. but now it's months later and it hurts plenty.. when: 1. I type and even if I don't use the thumb(left) as the hand moves and the...

Front tooth broken in half two days back, broken part is with me [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am six years old , two days back I was riding my cycle . I fell down and my front tooth was broken in half. Half broken part is with me. Today is third day. Is there any glue which help to join the two broken parts of my permanent fractured froont tooth. Thanks.

View more questions Search