Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilemma6987 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2013, 11:01 AM
    Harley davidson troubleshooting
    I have a 1980 883 sportster xlh when I hit the key the starter just spins I installed new starter and it does the same thing every now and then it will turn the motor over what could be causing this
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2013, 11:51 AM
    Its not a 1980 883... If its an 883 it's a lot newer than that... they didn't make the EVO sportster until 1986.

Sounds like a starter bendix is shot... its not physically attached to the starter itself.

Feb 21, 2013, 12:17 PM
    Where is the bendix located and is it hard to change

Feb 21, 2013, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Its not a 1980 883.......If its an 883 its a lot newer than that...they didn make the EVO sportster until 1986.

Sounds like a starter bendix is shot....its not physically attached to the starter itself.
    Do u know where the bendix is located and is it hard to change
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2013, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lilemma6987 View Post
    where is the bendix located and is it hard to change
    I know the older Ironheads pretty well... all the parts are basically in the same places on the EVO.

I could do it on my Ironhead by removing the entire starter assembly... I'm going to guess it's a little harder on the Evo. At worst you pull the primary cover.

http://www.easternmotorcycleparts.co.../PAGE_103.html

That shows a rough breakout of the parts... item number 11 is the Bendix. Also known as the atarter drive.

Its part of the subassembly that starter you replaced bolts to... that subassembly bolts th the engine case.

I don't have an evo or worked on one... this is one of those things that they all have... they just look a little different.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harley Davidson Troubleshooting [ 3 Answers ]

I recently purchased 1996 HD Fatboy FLSTF with the EVO 1340 engine. This bike had been stored for approximately 5 years. On the initial startup, after dropping old gas and replacing with new, the bike fired right up and sounded as it should but was dripping/leaking gas and oil from the air...

Harley davidson troubleshooting [ 0 Answers ]

What all should I check when the engine light on my 03 road king police comes 0n?

Harley Davidson Troubleshooting [ 0 Answers ]

My 2003 883 has a bad miss and the spark plugs are fowling. Compression is good I cleaned the fuel filter. I'm getting black smoke mostly from the rear cylinder.

Troubleshooting harley davidson [ 0 Answers ]

I have an 07 night train that up to the last three tank fulls has gone from 58 mpg, down to 38 mpg. Those numbers are pretty steady. When I had the v&h pipes and screamin eagle air intake put in last year, they reprogrammed my computer. I am wondering if that can change on its own or if any other...

Harley davidson troubleshooting [ 0 Answers ]

Positive side of battery touch frame lost all power checked fuses seam fine

View more questions Search