Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbbleelow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2013, 08:57 AM
    Ask a bankruptcy question
    Hello,
    If I have filed a chapter 13, in the process of paying my fees to the trustee, and I have a new found issue with my attorney can I replace him??
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2013, 08:58 AM
    Yes. You may need the permission of the Court. Call the Court Clerk and ask.

Expect to pay your current Attorney before he/she will release your file.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 21, 2013, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Yes. You may need the permission of the Court. Call the Court Clerk and ask.

Expect to pay your current Attorney before he/she will release your file.
    OP doesn't need the court's permission to change attorneys.

And in many places attorneys are not allowed to hold their client's papers conditioned upon payment of their fees. Bankruptcy attorneys must be admitted to the bar of the United States district court (there are from one to several such courts in each state) where the bankruptcy is pending. Rules for admission to any particular district court normally adopt the state bar rules by reference.
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2013, 06:06 PM
    I am famliar with Attorneys asking for the Court's permission to be discharged OR having the Court approve a substitution.

That is not the case in Federal Courts?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 21, 2013, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I am famliar with Attorneys asking for the Court's permission to be discharged OR having the Court approve a substitution.

That is not the case in Federal Courts?
    Good queston.

It would depend upon the local Federal rules. And there is a distrinct difference between attorneys withdrawing so that the client is left to represent himself - as opposed to a substitution. My previous comment was addressed to the substitution scenario.

I recently considered moving to withdraw from a bankruptcy case here in the Northern District of Florida. I discovered that the local Federal rules don't seem to address the situation.

But, in general, if the client has another attorney willing to step in, the court can't refuse (or would have no reason to do so). It would normally be done by stipulation.

I suppose a judge might conceivably refuse permission to substitute counsel if a trial is imminent and the court were afraid that the new attorney wouldn't have time to get up to speed. But even then, most judges would take the position (in a civil case anyway) that the client is free to choose. And bankruptcy "main" cases rarely require trials anyway.
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2013, 07:52 AM
    Thanks for the explanation - much appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Bridgeport Bankruptcy a legit company to file Bankruptcy with [ 7 Answers ]

Is Bridgeport Bankrupty online service a good company to file Bankruptcy. Are there any major reported complaints, like not filing Bankruptcy properly or at all.

Question regarding an asset in a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy [ 0 Answers ]

I am curious how a personal chapter 7 Bankruptcy Court would treat an asset that has value but is not marketable? Specifically, this asset is a percentage ownership in a partnership that owns one parcel of property. There are 5 partners in the Partnership with the voting power of one partner, one...

Bankruptcy Question [ 1 Answers ]

If I file for bankruptcy before getting married, how will it affect my future spouse?

During chapter 13 bankruptcy receive inheritance, opt out of bankruptcy and pay off? [ 3 Answers ]

I am six months into a chapter 13 bankruptcy and I have received an inheritance. My bankruptcy is about 60% payout of my total debt of $90K. My inheritance is about 50% of what I owe. Should I opt out of the bankruptcy and try to negotiate with the credit card companies for a payoff for about 50%...

Bankruptcy question [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I filed ch 7 went to court already but when finish in court judge never mention to take our truck away. It's a month now, would they take it away now?

View more questions Search