Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pgo1989 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2013, 02:39 PM
    In the state of Kansas what is the child endangerment laws?
    In the state of Kansas what can happen to a child if both the mother and chlid have meth in there bloood stream? My step-daughters mom has just had a baby and was and still is a meth user.She has another child as well. Im just wondering what will happen to her (as in legal charges) and the children? Will a grandparent be giving the chance to care for the children while the mother seeks help.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2013, 03:33 PM
    The child will most likely be put in the care of Child Protective Services while custody/guardianship is sorted out. She won't get a chance to seek help - she will be forced into treatment or rehab. She could lose custody permanently once the child tests positive.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2013, 03:47 PM
    This is assuming someone reports it. The OB/Gyn or hospital should be reporting it.
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2013, 03:55 PM
    It's an automatic test for newborns in Kansas and reporting is mandated by law.

CPS is not required to put a treatment plan in place. That is the Court's decision.

I did find a case where the mother was charged with endangering her unborn child.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 04:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    It's an automatic test for newborns in Kansas and reporting is mandated by law.
    Interesting. Can you link to something please? I ask because, if I understand correctly what you are saying, I see serious civil liberty concerns.
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2013, 06:50 PM
    My sister's a social worker - let me ask her where she got it. (She just left.)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 07:15 PM
    This is becoming more mainstream.

I'm not sure about Kansas, but here in Tennessee, if a mother admits to drug use and/or the admitting nurse has suspicion of drug use, this is reported to the physician. The physician then orders a UDS on mom and a UDS and meconium drug screen on baby.

We are not permittied to do drug screenings on all women, only those that admit to drug use or present with certain signs and symptoms of apparent drug use.

If baby's drug screens are positive, the information is then turned over to CPS.
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2013, 07:44 AM
    J9, I was looking for you and here you are! I'm still researching Kansas and so far don't have an answer.

But I'm looking.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 20, 2013, 07:55 AM
    Keep it up Judy! I was at work last night so I was restricted to what sites I could view and I'm on my kindle now, so can't search very well.

I do know that in Texas, the mother of a neonate with a positive diagnosis of NAS (Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome) can be prosecuted for child endangerment.

With the increase of certain infant illnesses as well as an increase in preterm laborious and deliveries these tests have become more common. We started this initiative January 1st in my very rural hospital. This has been gaining speed since, if memory serves me correctly, 2009 in many urban and metropolitan areas.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2013, 08:14 AM
    Normally if tested, the mother will lose custody temp to CPS and a family member will have to file to get guardianship of child. Nothing is automatic

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a step parent in the state of Kansas be forced to pay child support? [ 8 Answers ]

I am seriously thinking about marrying a man who has two children that he is supposed to be paying child support on. Currently he is behind and has no job. Can I be held resposible for his payments?

When child has restraining order against mom for child endangerment. [ 8 Answers ]

My stepdaughter spent week ends, vacations

NY state Child abandonment laws? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I live in the State of NY, My daughter is 11 yrs old and her biological father has not had any contact with her for the past 9yrs... scents she was 2 yrs old. I have never received any child support from him at all, I also had a restraining order on him at one time when she was 2yrs for me and...

Florida state laws about child support for a non biological child [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend was ordered to pay child support for his ex girlfriends child she told him they weren't his and he asked the judge for a DNA the judge in turn asked to mother if she wanted to do a DNA and she said no so the judge is denied his request and ordered the support. Isn't there something he...

View more questions Search