Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FormerTint Posts: 4, Reputation: -3

Feb 19, 2013, 12:58 PM
    Form 8938 questions
    T looks like I have to fix Form 8938 (foreign assets) for 2012. It seems like every account held at an institution needs to be reported separately. I have a number of small (sometimes 0) accounts.

1) Can all the accounts held at one institution be aggregated together to produce just one entry in Part 1 of the form ? Otherwise it would be incredibly tedious to produce multiple entries for these very small accounts. I could put all the identifying numbers that will fit in the area that asks for identifying number

2) I also own several physical shares of a foreign company group subsidiaries. Total dividend is less than $10/year. Can I just aggregate all the dividends from these subsidiaries into 1 entry in Part II of Form 8938 ?
    2) Part III of form 8938 asks for referral back to the actual line number where income is entered. This means that for every account, we need a link back to the actual line number in say Schedule B ? Will standard tax software like Turbo Tax handle this properly ? And what does line number mean, anyway ? For interest, Schedule B line 1, for dividends, Schedule B line 5, right ?

I thought the FBAR form was bad, but this is worse! The only saving grace is that since the form is no new, as long as you report the income properly, the IRS will hopefully not penalize you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 01:19 PM
    The Form 8938 is NOT used to report dividends or interest; it is used to report BALANCES of the various accounts you have.

Do not forget to submit the FBAR as well.

Feb 19, 2013, 01:27 PM
    ATE, thanks, but that is not correct. Part III of the form asks for interest income, dividend income etc. for foreign assets. So unlike the FBAR, the income also needs to be reported here.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2013, 05:59 PM
    You are correct, but that information was already reported in other parts of the tax return. The Form 8938's PRIMARY purpose is to report the existence of foreign accounts and the balances of those accounts, similar to the FBAR.

It is my hope that eventually the Form 8938 will REPLACE the FBAR, because it has more realistic reporting thresholds.

Feb 25, 2013, 04:41 AM
    I have another question -- it says clearly in the 8938 instructions that an account with a foreign branch of a US institution does not have to be reported. So I have a foreign account with Bank of America or Citi or Chase in a foreign country (they send 1099-INTs), it does not have to be reported on the 8938. But is it part of the balance that is counted towards the asset limit ?

So if I have 30 K with a foreign bank and 25 K with a foreign branch of Chase (single US resident), do I have to fill form 8938 at all ? [ The total balance > 50K, but the balance actually to be reported < 50K]. This may seem like hair splitting, but with a 10K penalty, one can't be too careful.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2013, 06:45 AM
    Are you getting a Form 1099-INT from Citibank to report the interest in the Citibank foreign.

If yes, you do not have to report the account on Form 8938.

If no, you do.

Feb 25, 2013, 07:07 AM
    ATE

I am getting a 1099-INT. I know I don't have to report foreign branch of US bank. My question was somewhat different. Do I have to fill a form 8938 at all if my total balance EXCLUDING foreign branch of US bank is < 50K ? In the example I mention, my total assets abroad are 50K plus, but if I exclude foreign Chase branch, they are less than 50K.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2013, 07:23 AM
    Then, In my opinion, you exclude the CitiBank account completely from the equation, resulting in no Form 8938 requirement at all.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2013, 07:24 AM
    However, a phone call to the IRS International Tax Helpline may be in order to confirm this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to include my RRSP in Form 8938 or TD F 90-22.1 [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Sir/Madam, I have reported my Canadian RRSP (registered retirement savings plan) in the form 8891 every year. Do I have to include my RRSP in the form 8938 or TD F90-22.1. Many thanks in advance!

IRS Form 8938 [ 1 Answers ]

We're married living abroad for 10 years and file a joint income tax return. I have only bank accounts (Cetificate of Deposits). Since I don't know the IRS conversion rate for 2012, my foreign invest can be less or more than $400,000 when withdraw. I understand we have to file form 8938 if we...

Do I need to file Form 8938? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear, I am physically present in a foreign country for the entire 12 month (Jan. 1st, 2011 - Dec, 31, 2011) and still to date. I am married filling jointly Forms 1040 and F2555 and 540NR and CA (540NR). Do I need to file form 8938 if our foreign fanacial assets are bbetween $10,000 and...

How to fill form 8938 [ 2 Answers ]

Dear, Just to clarify what I meant by assets is a checking account with a balance of somewhere between $10k and $100k. Do we still need to fill form 8938? Regards,

Do I need to file Form 8938? [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Sir/Madam, I have questions regarding the 8938 and would appreciate very much if you could answer my questions. 1. I am a canadian and moved in USA 3 few years ago. But my family continued to live in Canada last month; 2. We bought a house in Canada about 10 years ago and we lived...

View more questions Search