Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    118fearless Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2013, 03:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee View Post
    Malaysia does not allow dual citizenship, but it is not that bad. All Malaysian citizens are Commonwealth citizens and are entitled to certain rights in the United Kingdom and other Commonwealth countries.

If you are seeking citizenship thru your father, you will be requested to denounce Malaysian citizenship at the age of 18 or at the time you proceed.

There are a lot of details required to determine your case, including details of grandparents and parents' status before and after 1997.
    Can you please elaborate on "you will be requested to denounce Malaysian citizenship" ?
    So its up to me (malaysian citizen) to request to denounce my citizenship or do the British immigration office contact Malaysia's immigration office on my behalf?

Mar 11, 2013, 05:24 AM
    Where can I find the issue date of my First Passport?
    Where can I find the issue date of my first British passport?
    Note: I no longer have a copy of my first passport as I've lost it.

Can I get the information I need by contacting the British Immigration office?

Thank you.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2013, 05:26 AM
    Why do you need the issue date of your first passport? When passport remewal forms refer back to issue date... its generally meant to indicate the issue date of your most recent passport.

Mar 11, 2013, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Why do you need the issue date of your first passport? When passport remewal forms refer back to issue date...its generally meant to indicate the issue date of your most recent passport.
    So there is no way I can find it again?

I need it as proof of my British Dependent Territories Citizenship by descent in accordance with the relevant British Nationality act. As Im currently in the process of applying for HKID.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2013, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 118fearless View Post
    So there is no way I can find it again?

I need it as proof of my British Dependent Territories Citizenship by descent in accordance with the relevant British Nationality act. As Im currently in the process of applying for HKID.
    OK... that is way different then... they British governemt.. specifically the part that issues passports will have those records... If you do not reside in the UK currently... you should be able to request those records through your Embassy. If you are in the UK now... where you go to get your passport renewed might be able to request such information... of course you will have to prove identity... and a current passport would make this easier.

If you reside outside of the UK... and have not held a passort in years and don't have an expired one... then you can expect a rather difficult task to get this information. THe reason for this is identity fraud. You will have to prove ID through documents issued by the British government... as any outside are subject to possible doctoring or outright forgery as far as they (the British Government) will be concerned.

Mar 11, 2013, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    OK...that is way different then....they Brittish governemt..specifically the part that issues passports will have those records.... If you do not reside in the UK currently...you should be able to request those records through your Embassy. If you are in the UK now...where you go to get your passport renewed might be able to request such information....of course you will have to prove identity...and a current passport would make this easier.

If you reside outside of the UK....and have not held a passort in years and don't have an expired one...then you can expect a rather difficult task to get this information. THe reason for this is identity fraud. You will have to prove ID through documents issued by the British government...as any outside are subject to possible doctoring or outright forgery as far as they will be concerned.
    Thank you. That's all the information I needed.

Mar 11, 2013, 03:40 PM
    Difference between citizenship and nationality
    What is the difference between Chinese Citizenship and Chinese Nationality?

My father currently has Chinese Citizenship - does that mean he is a Chinese National too?

Thank you
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 11, 2013, 03:58 PM
    Yes. For most intents and purposes, the two words are synonymous.

Apr 9, 2013, 11:58 AM
    Dual Nationality?
    I was born in Malaysia in 1994 and I have a Malaysian Passport. I also understand Malaysia does not allow dual nationality.

However, I have ROA in the UK as my father is a British National. Does that effect my dual nationality?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2013, 12:23 PM
    Please stop asking the same question - as you know, we are all volunteers and someone who knows Immigration Law in your situation hasn't come along since you first posted.

I thought your father was a Chinese National - ?

Apr 9, 2013, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Please stop asking the same question - as you know, we are all volunteers and someone who knows Immigration Law in your situation hasn't come along since you first posted.

I thought your father was a Chinese National - ?
    He was born in Hong Kong and therefore is a Chinese citizen, and because he was a "British Dependent Territories Citizen" he obtained a British Passport via that route.

Sorry, Im just very impatient - I will wait now.

Its just very confusing as Malaysia states that it doesn't allow dual nationality but a "indefinite leave to remain" stamp on the Malaysian Passport is allowed? (assuming indefinite leave to remain is the same as ROA? Or am I wrong?) and ROA is counted as another citizenship or nationality... which is why Im just confused about as Malaysia is a no dual nationality country.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 10, 2013, 07:14 PM
    You have to choose one after you reach the age of 18.

Jun 21, 2013, 07:17 AM
    I have both a Malaysian Passport and a British Passport
    Hi,

I have both a Malaysian and British Passport and Im wondering which passport I should use when Im going into countries such as HongKong or China?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 21, 2013, 07:21 AM
    Your british passport would be accepted; but you should carry both.

Jun 21, 2013, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Your british passport would be accepted; but you should carry both.
    Can I ask why carry both.. I just need to know that the HongKong immigration office wouldn't contact Malaysia that Im using a British Passport to enter their country - for what ever reasons.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 21, 2013, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 118fearless View Post
    Can I ask why carry both....? I just need to know that the HongKong immigration office wouldn't contact Malaysia that Im using a British Passport to enter their country - for what ever reasons.
    It is all in the international data base anyway. My son and I are dual citizens do countries and always carry both.

There is no need for them to notify, as I said, we are all on an international database.

So what are you worried about, just take your british passport then?

Jul 1, 2013, 09:43 AM
    When was free mobility of labour established for a British National in the EuroZone?
    When was free mobility of labour established for a British National in the EuroZone?
    So In what year was a British National able to work in the Eurozone?

Jul 2, 2013, 06:13 AM
    What is the definition of "abroad" in immigration Law
    What is the definition of "abroad" in immigration Law.

If a person has ROA in two countries, will both of those countries not be considered "abroad"?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2013, 06:44 AM
    This is an International site, and I looked at your posting history in order to determine where you are.

You are asking about the UK?

I notice that you have 7 threads about Immigration.

I have asked that they be combined for ease in answering each of them.

Is this question asking about taxes, work permits, something else? I am reading that you are the citizen of one country. Outside of that country is "abroad."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Procedure to take husband and child without portuguese nationality [ 1 Answers ]

I am from Goa, presently working and staying in Abu Dhabi with my husband. I have already got my B.I and my portuguese passport is under process. I would like to ask you that after getting my passport and if I want to travel outside the country (India) and go to other country like UK will I be able...

I got nationality [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I came here on student Visa to UK . I got married to a EU citizen and got my nationality soon. Now my question is that DO I need to tell home office about that nationality and if yes, how should I tell them ?

Child nationality? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am french and both of my children (1.5 years and 3 years old) were born in england, their mother is from northern ireland (so they can get either british or irish passport), can they chosse to have several nationalities, english, irish, french and if they have to make a choice what is...

My child's nationality [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, my wife & I have a little girl who is now 2 and a half.She was born in France and we've now returned to the U.K. Is she French or British (she currently has a U.K passport issued by U.K. Embassy in France)?

View more questions Search