Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CoolPeter Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2013, 02:26 AM
    Select Outdoor furniture!!
    I am planning to decorate my garden and want to create a space for sitting. Can anyone tell me as to what type of furniture I should buy, of what material, etc. Please suggest something. Thanks for any suggestions.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 19, 2013, 02:49 AM
    Teak is by far the most expensive material for outdoor furniture, and is beautiful, but most people can't afford it, and it is depleting tropical forests around the world. It needs no care.

Powder-coated aluminum is a good material, and will never rust, and is light weight. It's usually black or dark green. It's mid priced.

Beware of powder-coated steel, which will rust no matter what they say. And unless you have a full time maid, beware of glass top tables, which will need constant cleaning.

Molded plastic is the most common and cheapest, and these days comes in many colors other than white, so is easier to keep clean. It also comes in stronger thicknesses than before, and shapes like Adirondack style, and is made to stack for winter storage.

There is fake wicker made of plastic that isn't too bad. I would avoid it because there is a lot of dirt and debris to clean off outdoor furniture and wicker isn't that easy to clean. Real wicker outdoors doesn't last long.

Cushions and pillows these days also are much better than before, made of real cloth with a waterproof coating instead of woven nylon of the past. Water really does run right off, and they don't get moldy. Be careful, because some are meant for indoor use only.

I myself just have plastic Adirondack chairs in a barn red color, and they are fine. I wish I had some metal chairs that are slightly springy, with curved bases (sort of a backwards C) instead of 4 legs. They can be a bit pricey.

Beware of chairs and tables with small narrow feet, depending on what the surface they will be on. They can sink into the earth or crack in a second and topple over.

Feb 26, 2013, 10:19 AM
    Thank you so much for the detailed information. I agree teak furniture is very good but I won't be able to afford that much. In that case I would settle for the Adirondack style furniture as you suggested. I was also thinking about rattan furniture... what do you think is its usability or features as an outdoor furniture? Somebody suggested me this one but I am not sure about it.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 26, 2013, 10:41 AM
    Rattan is a word often used interchangeably with wicker.
    Real rattan doesn't last long outside. If you are in a tropical climate and have an overhang to protect it from rain and a lot of UV light, it's very nice.
    There's a lot of plastic rattan that is OK if you don't mind how fake it looks up close.

Mar 5, 2013, 11:25 AM
    Thank you so much for taking the time off to reply my post. After I read your post I searched online for the benefits of buying rattan furniture and I found this article that read innumerable benefits of it. I says it is durable, cheap, weather resistant, natural as well as light weight... I dod't know but.. I am very confused now. May be I should buy one and see if its good or not... not sure though. Anyway, thanks for replying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Redoing rusty outdoor furniture [ 3 Answers ]

I have a set of outdoor furniture that started rusting the first year I bought it and it sits Under a roofed, enclosed porch. The rust was not flaky or blistering so I put primer For rusty metal on it and then repainted it last year. It is rustier now and my paint is Peeling off in...

Mildew on outdoor furniture [ 1 Answers ]

The plastic outdoor furniture mildews bad. I clean it with bleach and it looks good, but not for long. The mildew comes back and I am afraid the bleach is damaging the furniture with so much cleaning. Anything else that might help and last longer?

Protecting outdoor painted wooden furniture [ 1 Answers ]

I am painting a wooden table for outdoor use. Once I've painted it, what coating, substance, or product do I put on the paint once it's dry to protect the table from the elements?

Protecting painted outdoor furniture? [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone know what is the best way to protect painted wood from the elements? Normally on bare wood I would use spar urethane,but they say not to use that on painted surfaces.

View more questions Search