Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcvf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2005, 08:13 AM
    SP2, is it necessary?
    Hi:

I tried installing SP2 a few months ago and it completely crashed my computer. Some IT friends then told me that SP2 had many problems that needed resolving, so I put SP1 back on.

I'm wondering if SP2 is now safe to put on my computer? Is it even necessary if I have Norton Systemworks, a hardware firewall, plus Adware and Spybot.

Thanks!
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Jan 24, 2005, 09:32 AM
    SP2 is it necessary?
    For all their faults,Microsoft,and I'm no fan,don't issue updates without justification.Annoying yes,because most pundits think that they have been around long enough to produce 'perfect' OS code.But this is a silly statement.No OS will work without problems once it's been released into the wild.

Indeed,without public testing,faults would be very low key.Lab conditions produce false readings.

As far as Service Pack 2 is concerned,according to Microsoft,it can have incapabilities with AMD 64 bit processors,Intel P.4,and Celeron D,which can prevent XP from booting normally.I.E. can lock up after SP2 install.

Get Firefox.

Upgrade all driver files,patches,etc,before installing SP2 is Redmonds answer.
    Old versions of Zone Alarm Firewall can cause boot up errors.I am using the latest 'freeware' edition,and have had no problems thus far.Also Eset's Antivirus plus Norton Antivirus 2003 can cause problems after installing SP2.

However,SP2 is there to enhance XP,fix bugs,install the XP Firewall by default,and generally iron out any loose stitching.It's individual choice to upgrade,or not to upgrade,but it's better to listen to big bad Bill's org.than to be hacked somewhere down the line.

At least you have a firewall,and antivirus software,plus spyware preventative measures.To not install a Firewall,spyware,or adware of any kind is inviting disaster!
    The web is educational,informative,fun,and a nightmare.Whilst your surfing yourchoice.com,some idiot is testing your PC for any exploit to 'mess' around.
    It's like leaving your keys in your front door.Dont do it!

Keep fully up to date,be safe,and above all,if your that worried,get Linux.

All the best,
    Nez.

More Info.

If you want more indepth reading,then visit the US.Computer Emergency Readiness Team report on SP2 at http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/alerts/SA04-243A.html

Just out of interest.What is your PC configeration?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2005, 06:01 AM
    Sp2
    Hi,
    No, I personally would not install SP2.
    It is a bad attempt by Microsoft to have better security with their Windows XP.
    Installing SP2 also stops some of the HTML Help files from being opened in Word and MS Office.

Do a Search on Google, type in just "SP2", without quotes, then click on Search.
    You can read many, many articles and complaints, with forums on how to fix stuff gone wrong with SP2.

Best wishes,
    fredg
    PS; Internet Explorer 6/SP1 also has Cumulative Internet Explorer Security downloads for IE and Outlook Express at Windows Update. I don't use those either... I tried them, had to reinstall windows 98SE.
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 25, 2005, 07:29 AM
    Suggestion
    I would suggest, backing up your entire computer, find out how to reformat it, then if you want to try SP2 then do so.

That way if it messes up, your prepared and can reformat and reinstall everything.

I would also suggest ordering the CD with SP2 on it, directly from MS, you can do so at the Microsoft website, I received mine 5 days after ordering it online, they also send an email confirmation, the install seems to go easier when you have the CD, rather than an online download.

If you install it, run complete Virus, Adware and Spyware checks on your system 1st, then defrag, then log in as Administrator and close out any programs running or anything on the taskbar.

Microsoft also supplies a Phone number on their website, specifically for Sp2 install problems.

:)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2005, 07:45 AM
    Unless you are having a problem that SP2 solves, you can hold off on it. However, while a small percentage of computers do have problems with it, the vast majority don't. I've installed it on several machines and only one experienced a problem. The good thing about SP2 is that it is easy to uninstall if it does cause a problem.

Of course you should back up your system before applying any major upgrade.

I definitely recommend trying SP2. Since its easy to back out, you don't risk much by trying it. If it works on your system, it does provide some significantly enhanced security.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jan 28, 2005, 04:27 PM
    I have found installing SP2 on a fresh win xp install is pretty painless. I am pleased Microsoft is making even this halfhearted attempt at minimal security.

I do know some people who hate SP2, for various reasons. Eventually Microsoft will stop releasing patches for non-SP2 systems, and then you will have to upgrade, or else...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search