Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hbm6092 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2013, 03:34 PM
    I can't talk to my mum
    This is something that has been bothering me for a while. Every time I say something to her she has to put it on Facebook or tell someone. Even when she promises not to. Ian's soon as I leave the room it's straight to Facebook or the phone. It's got so bad that I don't share anything with her. I just want my mum back! Please give me some advice
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 18, 2013, 03:51 PM
    Don't tell her anything you don't want publicized.
    hbm6092 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2013, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Don't tell her anything you don't want publicized.
    Yes but sometimes you need to talk to your mum. For advice or support or sometimes for comfort. I can't do this without it becoming worldwide. I also feel that everything I do is wrong.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Feb 18, 2013, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hbm6092 View Post
    Yes but sometimes you need to talk to your mum. For advice or support or sometimes for comfort. I can't do this without it becoming worldwide. I also feel that everything I do is wrong.
    Let her know how you feel and that you won't be sharing things with her due to her actions on Facebook.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 18, 2013, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hbm6092 View Post
    No, everything SHE does is wrong regarding her need to spill her guts about confidences.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 18, 2013, 04:26 PM
    Reading your post actually makes me feel guilty.

I am having a lot of issues with my teenager. I'm at the end of my rope with him. I often post about it on fb, or this site. Why? I need support. I need to talk it out with other people.

I never thought about how my son would feel reading the stuff I post on fb. It wasn't to rat him out, or to make our problems public, it was for me, so I could get some support, or advice.

Now that I've read your thread, I realize that what I've done, isn't the right way to go about it. But, as a mom that is like your mom, I can tell you that I never ever did it to hurt my son. You have to realize that your mom is human. Yes, we are parents, but that doesn't mean that we have all the answers, and there are times when the problems our kids present to us, or the issues our kids are having, are too much for us to handle alone. Nowadays there are sites like this, and fb, where you can instantly reach out to people, without the discomfort of having to sit down with them face to face. It makes it so easy to reach out for help.

Have you told your mom how you feel about her posting things on fb about you?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 18, 2013, 04:29 PM
    I just want to point out, you're actually doing the same thing you accuse your mom of, the only difference is that no one on this site knows your name, or your mothers. But, you're still posting about your issues online, and unlike fb, everyone in the world has access to your thread on this site. On fb it's only the people on your moms friend list.

Just pointing that out so you can maybe understand why she does it. For the same reason you're doing it. Help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to talk to my mum [ 2 Answers ]

My mum died 3yrs ago but I still miss her when she died I was 17 and was pregnant with my little boy mym mum died 4 days before he was born so he never got to meet her but she was a great lady . She would help any one no matter what it was she was there she would never leave you to deal with it on...

How to talk to mum about leg shaving [ 8 Answers ]

I sent my mum an e-mail the other day asking if I could shave my legs and she replied we will talk about it it has been 3 days and she hasn't mentioned it I really need help on how to ask her again BTW I am 11

My brother doesn't talk to my mum. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm new here. My brother stopped talking to my mum about 5-6 years ago when he was 15 and he's now coming up to being 21. Back then my mum was an alcoholic and used to come out with horrible comments when she was under the influence of drink. Y brother. I've tried to talk to him and try to make...

Overbearing control freak Mum who won't talk [ 3 Answers ]

I have always had a close and yet strained relationship with my mother. I'm a 30 year old single mum with a child, she's 60 and divorced. She interferes in every aspect of my life. I rely on her financially to a degree as she pays for my child's education. I have tried cutting myself off from her,...

View more questions Search