Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    priyankagoyal05 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2013, 09:50 AM
    Why revaluation reserve is transferred to general reserve
    Hi, I am student of CA Finals , My query is why Revaluation Reserve is transferred to General Reserve and why not to Profit & Loss Account?
    Fidget1 Posts: 105, Reputation: 4

Feb 19, 2013, 01:44 PM
    In a nutshell, the revaluation surplus is a movement on owners' equity. As such, it doesn't go through the profit and loss.

This is difficult to try and explain, but here goes...

The thing to remember is that just because an asset is being revalued rather than treated under historical cost, it doesn't mean that historical cost can be forgotten about in respect of that asset. Historic cost is the anchor when it comes to revaluations because assets always need to be originally recorded at cost and what happens after that, revolves around that.

So, if an asset is revalued upwards, the original recorded cost still exists but the excess of revalued amount over cost (or depreciated historical cost) is basically a windfall to the owners' equity i.e. there's nothing to go through the P+L on account of it, so it is shown in the balance sheet as a debit to increase the asset to its revalued amount, and a credit to the revaluation reserve (accounting for the windfall really, as this is a windfall purely to them rather than anything occurring in the normal scheme of the business that requires going through the P+L).

Even if the asset in question is now being depreciated at its revalued amount - i.e. the depreciation charge to the P+L increases, the excess of the new depreciation charge over the original depreciation charge (on historic cost) will be debited from the revaluation reserve and credited to retained earnings in the balance sheet as that period's realisation of the revalued amount back to the owners. And if the asset wasn't sold, then the revaluation reserve would be zero at the end of the useful life.

If the asset is sold before being fully depreciated at its new depreciation amount, then any surplus remaining on the revaluation reserve goes to retained earnings in the balance sheet without going near the P+L because it can't be systematically transferred over via excess depreciation because the asset has been sold.

Any gain or loss on disposal rightfully goes through the profit and loss because in essence, a gain/loss on disposal is a depreciation adjustment and so it belongs in the profit and loss.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Revaluation reserve after sale of asset [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am quite confused about what happens to the revaluation reserve after an asset is sold. Assuming the asset's original cost was $100, and afterwards get revalued to $150. Accounting entry - Dr Asset $50, Cr Revaluation Reserve $50 When the company sells the asset for $180, the treament is...

What is revaluation reserve entry after sale of assets [ 0 Answers ]

I Have one ship value $800,000/- as on 31-12-2011 against this asset I have revaluation reserve amounting $200,000/- for revaluation done in prior years. This Vessel sold on 01-01-2012 for $700,000/-. What is the entry to be passed & is loss on sale of asset can be adjusted againt revaluation...

Amount transferred to general reserve [ 0 Answers ]

How much amount can be transferred in to general reserve out of current year profits for a private Company

Revaluation reserve and depreciation [ 1 Answers ]

On 01 September 2006 company X wrote off old equipment that had been fully depreciated and purchased new equipment on the same date.The replacement equipment cost 870, 000. After some necessary alterations (to the value of 50, 000) were made, the equipment was brought into use on 01 October 2006. ...

Revaluation Reserve [ 7 Answers ]

Hi can anyone help me with this calculation::confused: At 31 December 2004 Q a limited liability company, owned a building that cost $800,000 on January 1 1995, it was being depreciated at 2% per year. On January 1 2005 a revaluation to $1,000,000 was recognized, at the date the building has a...

View more questions Search