Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flymanansh Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2013, 09:46 PM
    Tax for the taxable amount that in access of $5250 tuition remission
    Say the total tuition is $10250,so the taxable amount is $5000. The fedeal and state taxes have been withheld for this $5000. I was wondering if the taxes for the $5000 is refundable or can I claim any credit for tax return?
    Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 17, 2013, 09:51 PM
    Yes, it is probably refundable, because you can claim a $3,800 personal exemption and a $5,950 standard deduction.

I suspect both the withheld federal and state taxes should be refunded to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Research Assistant Tuition Non-taxable? [ 3 Answers ]

To AtlantaTaxExpert: When I was a student (for Ph.D. Degree on non-resident F-1 status) during 2007 to 2010, I got monthly payment (say $1500) by Professor as a scholarship for my research assistance. Due to my employment, I got half tuition remission (say $4000/semester). The other half...

How to indicate taxable interest amount in tax forms [ 2 Answers ]

I have a NRE account whose interest amount is taxable. However, I'm not sure which form I need to fill to indicate the above. Should I complete 1040 schedule B? I did not receive 1099-INT. Do I need to indicate somewhere that 1099-INT was not received?

Help to find tuition amount for program on seneca colleges website [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering where can I find the Tuition amount for the academic year of fall(sept) 2010, tell spring (april) 2011 Then I would alos want to know where to find the book fees, and the price that's paid for the heath/dental plan for that academic study periord. Thank you p.s for the...

Taxable gift amount [ 1 Answers ]

What is the maximum amount an individual can receive as a gift before they are taxed?

Tuition expense over scholarship amount [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I would appreciate a little help with my taxes. I am a resident alien for tax purposes. My wife is a non-resident and we have elected to file taxes jointly as residents for 2007. For they ear 2007 my wife had a scholarship amount of 7000 from her school. 14 % of her scholarship was taxed....

View more questions Search