Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grencha Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2013, 12:07 PM
    Gold watch with stones
    I found a watch with no brand name and it looks to be gold plate but the stones on the band and case might be real. How do you tell the difference between real diamonds and man made or gold and gold plate? The case back says stainless steel with a japan movement the face of the watch just says quartz with no brand name. I will attach a picture so if anybody might recognize the watch for the brand it might be.
    Attached Images

joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 17, 2013, 01:00 PM
    If there is no brand name, I doubt that the stones are worth anything.
    Show it to a jeweler.
    The first step with metals is to try a magnet on them.
    Even gold plating is worth very little, because so little is applied.

Feb 17, 2013, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    If there is no brand name, I doubt that the stones are worth anything.
    Show it to a jeweler.
    The first step with metals is to try a magnet on them.
    Even gold plating is worth very little, because so little is applied.
    Reply:
    Well tried the magnet thing and the only part it is attracted to is where the pins are connecting the rectangular segments.
    Kovid Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2013, 01:39 AM
    You should go for the jeweller to check the golad and diamonds. Because they are experts in this section, we can't check at home easily this.
    jclifford Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Feb 28, 2013, 09:00 PM
    If it is gold it will be marked... somewhere. It may say 10k, 14k, 18k, 416,. 417, 585. . 750. If there is no name on the watch there is probably more than a 99.9% chance it is not gold unless it was a very, very old piece and the identifying marks had worn off. Assuming that it is not gold the chances of the stones being real diamonds is close to nil.

Feb 28, 2013, 10:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jclifford View Post
    If it is gold it will be marked...somewhere. It may say 10k, 14k, 18k, .416,..417, .585. .750. If there is no name on the watch there is probably more than a 99.9% chance it is not gold unless it was a very, very old piece and the identifying marks had worn off. Assuming that it is not gold the chances of the stones being real diamonds is close to nil.
    Reply:
    I see what you mean but from looking at some watches online some not many have no name on the face which what has my interest. But I was think it may be a white metal that is plated gold. That is why the magnet is not attracted to it. Also the stones are most likely rhinestones but you never know it is a rather fancy looking watch. I read that some stones not sure about diamonds will have a blue appearance from light shining on them. To tell this if I hold the watch about 2 feet away and a light is maybe 5 feet away there is a blue appearance what do you think?
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Feb 28, 2013, 10:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by grencha View Post
    Reply:
    I see what you mean but from looking at some watches online some not many have no name on the face which what has my interest. But I was think it may be a white metal that is plated gold. That is why the magnet is not attracted to it. Also the stones are most likely rhinestones but you never know it is a rather fancy looking watch. I read that some stones not sure about diamonds will have a blue appearance from light shining on them. To tell this if I hold the watch about 2 feet away and a light is maybe 5 feet away there is a blue appearance what do you think?
    I'm no jewelry expert, but as a teacher, we conduct tests on stones. Transparency is one test. You can't clearly see through a real diamond. Also, a real diamond cannot hold heat, so it won't fog up. Scratch tests (on mirrors and glass) used to be reliable, but some cubic zirconias can scratch glass.
    jclifford Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Feb 28, 2013, 11:20 PM
    Forget the blue reflection, I have not heard that in my 36 years as a jeweler. If you have a loose diamond, you can place it upside down on a thin dark line. A diamond will make the line disappear, you will see a reflection of the line with a CZ and other non-diamonds. The best test is to look at the stone under high magnification. The facet junctions of the diamond will be very sharp. Non-diamonds will have facet junctions that are "rounded" over. Please do not shoot the messenger, but I seriously doubt an unmarked, unnamed watch has precious metal or diamonds. A manufacturer that makes a watch out of precious metal and diamonds is very proud of his work, he will put his name on it and mark it gold so everyone will know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Value of gold pocket watch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 9 carat (375) Dennison case pocket watch Swiss made with a Buren Lux 26 jewel movement, assayed in 1926. The name on the watch face is Sanders & Webber, Woolwich. It is in perfect working order and condition:no scratches or dents. Can you give me an estimated value for insurance...

Are the pins in the strap of a gold watch gold strap gold? [ 1 Answers ]

The watch is 18k gold and is magnetic. Gold is not should not react to a magnet when it I placed near it. I was wondering if the pins in the bracelet are gold? Daniel Mink 18K watch.

Gold plated Half Hunter Pocket Watch by Dennison. [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently inherited an A.L.Dennison gold plated half hunter pocket watch and require to know how to date its manufacture. The inner cuvette is engraved ' ENGLISH MAKE. THIS CASE GUARANTEED TO WEAR 10 YEARS' and is numbered '65 64 6N'. The engraved number '653664' followed by the letter 'X'...

Hallmark on gold coloured oris watch [ 1 Answers ]

The hallmark is 10 with a circle next to it, inside the circle there is a symbol similar to this \_o_/ under the o and the funny boat shaped symbol there is also the letter c hope this makes sense!

How to price a Tissot Turler Women's 18k Gold watch [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Tissot Turler Women's 18k Gold filled watch that I want to sell on eBay. Does anyone have an idea of the price range of this watch? Picture: http://i10.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/9e/8d/5b28_1.JPG

View more questions Search