Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdy123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2013, 12:05 PM
    Can I change a three wire electric stove top element to a 2 prong element?
    I have a GE electric cooktop that I cannot find a model number or anything. The elements are the 3 wire elements. I would like to change them to the newer 2 prong element. Any suggestions would be appreciated. One of the big issues is finding a replacement element, the cost, and the top ring appears to part of the element. Thanks in advance!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 17, 2013, 01:08 PM
    I can't speak to the electrical question, just the value of any coil cooktop not being worth working on when you can get a good used one for almost nothing, or even an all new one. Elements run about $15 each (2 prong) but you should be able to get a whole cooktop for under $100, possibly even $50 on craigslist or bargain with an appliance store who will have some gathering dust.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2013, 01:20 PM
    X2- Not worth the effort or cost effective.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What would cause multiple element failures in a dual element electric HWH? [ 1 Answers ]

We installed a 100 gallon dual element water heater tied to a whole house circulation system and have had 4 heating elements (both upper and lower elements) fail in the 6 months after installation. Could the problem be from the circulation pump having a short into the water, grounding to the...

Burnt red wire to the heating element to hot water heater. (electric). [ 2 Answers ]

Burnt red wire to the heating element. Cover has been off after I replaced the heating element 18 months ago. I did have this problem about two months ago when it appeared that the red and black wire touched each other . There was the burnt smell and melting. I cut off the burnt parts and...

How to change a four prong stove cord to a three prong oven cod [ 0 Answers ]

I have four prongs on my stove I need to change it to three prongs I need to know how to connect the wires

Electric wall oven bake element wire [ 5 Answers ]

Hello Thinking I was on a roll after rewiring my ceiling fan I decided to replace the bake element on my kenmore electric wall oven that died the other night-how hard could it be to do? I turned off the breaker-unscrewed the element and gently pulled it out. One side had the wire attached-one did...

Three prong dryer element [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend that has a dryer problem. First the breaker was shot. I replaced it. Next the thermoswitch was shot. I replaced it. Now I only get 110 too all three of the dryer connections. I cannot get 240 across these connections. Am I too assume this dryer has two elements since there are...

View more questions Search