Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WCCL Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2013, 10:26 AM
    HIPPA Laws In Pennsylvania?
    Is it against the law for a Doctor to with hold any information from a patient while treating them for an injury, especially if it will interfere with the patients recovery and performance in their everyday life there after?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2013, 10:55 AM
    It's HIPAA, not HIPPA, and it's a Federal law. It involves third parties being given medical information, not info withheld from a patient.

You may have another cause of action - what are the circumstances?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 17, 2013, 08:42 PM
    Because HIPAA is Federal law, it doesn't matter whether it's Pennsylvania, California, Maine, or anywhere else in the U.S. It's all the same. But the HIPAA regulations don't have anything to do with what a doctor must tell his or her patent. If the doctor fails to tell you important information, the doctor may be liable in a civil suit, if the patient suffers damages as a result.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 17, 2013, 11:53 PM
    (OP was in a car accident - see other post.)

WCCL, you have a tendency here to be cryptic, and it doesn't help. I can't see a reason why a doctor would withhold information about you, and it would help to know what you think is being kept from you.
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2013, 06:45 AM
    I didn't catch the other post, Joy - good PI work.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2013, 06:56 AM
    No it does not violate the law.

If you do not want to give proper info, no one will help you, ( or no one can help you)

What information is not being given.
    Who is the patient ?
    What is it for ?
    WCCL Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2013, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Because HIPAA is Federal law, it doesn't matter whether it's Pennsylvania, California, Maine, or anywhere else in the U.S. It's all the same. But the HIPAA regulations don't have anything to do with what a doctor must tell his or her patent. If the doctor fails to tell you important information, the doctor may be liable in a civil suit, if the patient suffers damages as a result.
    When being treated the night of my accident at a local hospital as informed by the police officer who wrote the accident report, I received medical treatment for lumbar/cervical muscle strains. I asked the Dr is that all that you found because something doesn't feel right in my lower back or even like strained muscles? He claimed that the ct scan came up with no breaks or fractures amd no signs of damage just strains. When I asked him about the x-rays he said they can't be read that bone strucutre doesn't show up clearly and they are too cloudy and blurry to read? I've been in pain since this accident now for over 11 months and not the same. I was informed to go get a copy of the x-ray and ct scan 4 days ago and also I had a previous x-ray taken 18 months before this recent accident, no comparison in x-rays what so ever. The Radiologist transcribed the 2 remaining sets of 3 x-rays at 10am the following day and Dr never followed up or contacted me about results. Paper work states that all my C's are curved to right, L's curved to left, and diagnose of damage through L1 to L5 with spacing and also scoliosis, bone spurs etc. Him nor the Hospital has never contacted me ever since the night of the ER visit and his discharge notes told me to rest for 2 days and resume back to work and go about my everyday life. I can no longer function as I once did before.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 18, 2013, 09:33 AM
    An ER doctor treats and streets or admits. They are not required to compare current films with films taken a year or so earlier. They are also not required yo do any follow - up. That is your responsibility.

ER docs treat for current complaints only.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 18, 2013, 09:35 AM
    You may have a case against the hospital and doctor, but it won't come under HIPAA.

It's possible that you were deemed to be just another person in a small fender bender looking for damages, and you really should have gone to see an orthopedist long before now. Not at an ER, which really is for emergencies only. So find one ASAP. He or she will want new scans after 11 months anyway, but bring the reports with you. And hire a lawyer if need be for both the person who hit you and for the hospital.
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2013, 10:05 AM
    The Police Officer told you you HAD to get emergency treatment?

If you are suffering as a result of an auto accident contact a personal liability attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pennsylvania eviction laws. [ 3 Answers ]

When a tenant is evicted and removed from an apartment (by a constable) does he/she have the right to remove their belongings from the premises? And if so, is there a time limit that the tenant has to do this? And who determines how much time the tenant has? Are there any laws here in Pennsylvania...

Pennsylvania state laws on trees? [ 12 Answers ]

My neighbor has this large tree on his property and its large branches go well over into our property some almost touching our roof. What are my options ?

Pennsylvania alimony laws [ 2 Answers ]

I have heard that PA no longer has alimony? But I also heard they do? I think my husband wants to leave. He has been distant for sometime now, will not communicate with me and refuses to go to the counselor? I believe I have done all I can to same this marriage but I can't keep putting myself...

Need information on Pennsylvania tree laws. [ 5 Answers ]

I am a beaver county, Pennsylvania resident. My question is in regards to tree law. In my back yard I have a row of several tall arbovidae trees for privacy that form a barrier around my yard. These trees are slowly dying off. Adjacent to my yard is a house that has two black walnut trees...

View more questions Search