Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beckytony Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Does my ex-boyfriend have any legal rights to my daughter?
    Is there any legal rights to my daughters father? He hasn't seen her in 6 years and now he wants to be in her life. She has me her mother her sister and a step father. She only knows her step father as her only father. My fiancé would like to adopt her. Is there anyway he can if were not married yet?
    JP8 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by beckytony
    is there any legal rights to my daughters father? he hasnt seen her in 6 years and now he wants to be in her life. she has me her mother her sister and a step father. she only knows her step father as her only father. my fiance would like to adopt her. is there anyway he can if were not married yet?
    Where do you live? I mean what country? Because in every country there is a different law on that issue
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 18, 2007, 08:28 PM
    In the US, the ex boy friend has every right of the father, esp if there has been no court order for custody, so he has the same rights basically as you do legally unless you have gotten a custody order from the court. ( including child support)

Now if your boyfriends wants to adopt, the bio father is going to have to sign away his rights. ( also in some states you may have to be married)

All the bio father needs to do is go to court and file for visitation, most likely they will start with limited and supervised visiting, but with plans to make it more latter.

So you all need to work all of this out in family court
    beckytony Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 10:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JP8
    where do you live? i mean what country? because in every country there is a different law on that issue

I live in (usa) Ohio!
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Mar 18, 2007, 10:23 PM
    You can't allow your boyfriend to legally adopt your child without the biological father's approval unless his rights have been terminated in court.
    JP8 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 11:49 PM
    There you have the answer from Fr_chuck
    tishee_76 Posts: 64, Reputation: 4

Mar 19, 2007, 01:22 AM
    Hi beckytony

Pretty sure there's no way out of this one.. Chucks right on..
    Im writing just to let you know this situation happens a lot unfortunately and I realise how unfair it feels to have made an emotionally secure life for your child just to have the previously absent bio parent cause turbulance..
    If you keep any bad feeling under control and hold on tight, the end product could actually be purposeful..
    Even though the ex previously had no interest in par-taking in the privileged title of parenting, he does deserve a chance to redeem previous behavior and discover his child's identity..

I really do wish your family strength through this time and hope you and your fiances' relationship excels with support for each other and your daughter..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who has the legal rights to parents ashes? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question requarding my fathers ashes. In 1999 my father passed away, At the time of his death he was not married. He had a live in girl friend of 12 years. I don't know if Philadelphia is a common law state or not. My dad had three daughters. Two from his first marriage and one from his...

Legal rights/paternity [ 4 Answers ]

I found out I have a two y/o son recently. Mother says she got pregnant purposely to have sibling for older brother. She agreed to let me see him which I have regularly since I found out. I also established paternity through a blood test. Problem is, I want to see child more than mother wants me...

Boyfriend Adopting My Daughter [ 2 Answers ]

My Daughter is 3 months old next saturday and I want to know if my Boy-friend can adopt her. Her bio father has never seen her and has never been in her life since she was in my belly. I want him to adopt her so that she has a father that loves her and doesn't use drugs or sell drugs either.

Mother Signing Away Legal Rights [ 3 Answers ]

My husband had a baby with a woman seven months that wants nothing to do with the baby. She hasn't seen her since the day she was born. She is willing to sign away her legal rights, how much would it cost her to do that? If it's possible.

Does a person who gave up their rights have any legal right to my child? [ 8 Answers ]

We adopted a child about 3 years ago and she was almost 5 yrs old. But the father who gave up his rights and let us adopt her is demanding visitation and said he is going to take us to court and try to get visitation. We use to allow him to see her but he isn't psychologically stable and it's not...

View more questions Search