Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lileeob Posts: 51, Reputation: 2

Feb 15, 2013, 10:22 PM
    Just that I already did ask my superviser. She didn't seem to care. So basically I guess I should take a cue from her and you guys and also stop caring? Is what I gather. It's just not helpful, but I guess you are right when you say there isn't MUCH I could do in the first place and that its not my place to try

Feb 15, 2013, 10:23 PM
    Just don't really know how to deal with it. Like, it depresses me a little bit... who would have known being a cashier was so heavy lol
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 10:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lileeob View Post
    Just don't really know how to deal with it. Like, it depresses me a little bit... who would have known being a cashier was so heavy lol
    A mother may buy aspirin to poison her baby, but that's not something you worry about or can control. Only if she tells you, then report it to your supervisor. And it's till, not until.

Feb 15, 2013, 10:31 PM
    Huh, I would have never thought that it was with two L's... thanks !
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 10:38 PM
    Don't get me wrong... I completely understand this point of view... I do. I also think it shows that you're a decent person because you do care. But caring or not isn't what makes the difference here based on what you asked. It is sad that this is being done but at some point you just need to step back and remind yourself that it is out of your hands and these people choose to do this of their own free will. Doesn't make it right... but you know...
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 10:39 PM
    You called us rude, and expected us to know everything about your town, about you, all the things you know, but didn't bother to tell us. We can only go by what you write. If you leave out things, that's on you, not us.

Fact is, even if we had known everything, the advice is still the same. You are a paid employee, not the owner of the store. Therefore you cannot refuse to sell the products carried in your store, to anyone, without just cause. You equate this to alcohol. It's not. Hairspray and mouth wash are not products intended to cause inebriation. There are no laws to govern the purchasing of these products. If you worked in a liquor store and an underage person came in to buy alcohol, then you'd have a legal leg to stand on. But in this case you don't.

If the supervisor doesn't care, then don't let it bother you. If it continues to bother you, then you do have an option, and that's to quit.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 10:44 PM
    Just that I already did ask my superviser. She didnt seem to care. So basically I guess I should take a cue from her and you guys and also stop caring? Is what I gather. It's just not helpful, but I guess you are right when you say there isnt MUCH I could do in the first place and that its not my place to try
    During my life, I've worked as a cashier, a waitress, a stock clerk, a teacher, a librarian, a counselor. There are many things I saw that I didn't like, but I knew I had no control over them. I learned I cannot change the world. If I can fix something or try to legally without getting my teeth knocked in, I will do so. The rest I have to let go of, and let God deal with them.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 10:56 PM
    live in a small northern ontario cummunity and I am a cashier at the grocery store. Often natives come in and buy hair spray or mouth wash, and I never know what to do. So I just sell it to them.
    Should I be saying something? Or refusing to sell? Are there laws against this?
    What would anyone else do? Opinions please?
    I don't think you understand how this site works.

We can only advise you according to the information you give. Initially, your post was very judgmental and full of prejudice. Had you mentioned that customers came in to the store intoxicated in the first place, our advice may have been different.

Since mouthwash and hairspray are designated for use other than intoxication, you cannot refuse them to a customer since you don't know, beyond a reasonable doubt, the intended purpose of said items. You can only venture a guess that it will be used for the purpose of intoxication.

If you don't feel comfortable selling it, talk to your store manager. Find out what policies and procedures are in place within the store for situations such as this.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 16, 2013, 05:43 AM
    I never thought you are prejudiced just because you single out 'natives.' We all know that poverty and unemployment go hand in hand with drug use in groups who aren't the ones with all the jobs and perks of society. I just said that you can be perceived as violating civil rights by refusing, even if you were the owner of the store.
    You have other choices, including doing work in your community to help with any drug centers, job help, counseling. You could say 'I hope you aren't planning to put glue and toxic gasses in your lungs.' Probably won't do much good, but being nice about it and nice in general does help.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 06:08 AM
    Yes, we know what the problem is, some of us are in western Canada and I live in Ontario and am entirely aware of first nation problems and what the kids do to get high; meth and gasoline sniffing are others. It is a way of committing suicide in the long run.They will not go to school because they feel, what is the point. Not true, but how do you convince them otherwise. Our native people are stuck in a hard place, therefore the recent blockades right across the country, and the chief holding up on an island in the Ottawa river, fasting. Don't get me going. Like I said, I know.

I understand where you are coming from, but all you can do is talk to your supervisor and I doubt he will do anything (I would hope he would).
    fuzznuttski Posts: 19, Reputation: 5

Feb 18, 2013, 08:04 PM
    The hairspray & mouthwash are legal to buy & therefore legal to sell. Your concern for their benefit is well intentioned, but they need to arrive at their own crossroads & make the decision to continue or not.

When a person asks for help, be prepared to offer some. Consult w/ a local clinic or rehab center for assistance. See what you may be able to do if/when someone comes to that point. Be careful. Don't try to rescue someone all alone. Show some compassion & maybe give them a phone number.

But before you do any of this, speak w/ the store owner first. They may not want you to do anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to write a introduction letter to get a customers for packged drinking water? [ 1 Answers ]

We are opening a water treatment plant and we are manufacturing packaged drinking water

What are effects of drinking mouthwash while pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

I believe my wife (a recovering alcohollic) could be drinking mouthwash while pregnant.

Hair spray. [ 5 Answers ]

I have some questions about hairspray :) I currently have this Thaft 4 weather hairspray strength 3(the green one) and I find it's smell quite disturbing. I like to put lots of hairspray on my hair since I don't feel really confident about it/I'm concerned that people near me can smell the...

How do I get sun in spray hair dye out of my hair [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get sun in spray hair dye out of my hair

Bringing customers to my Hair Salon [ 2 Answers ]

My hair salon has been opened for a year. I NEED HELP!!!!!!! BRING IN NEW CUSTOMERS. I am also having a problem attracting new stylists; most of the stylists i have had have been very young and not dependable. I need help fast, like yesterday. I need cheap ways to advertise. I've handed out...

View more questions Search