Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ejwr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2013, 03:03 PM
    Amending State Tax Return
    IRS amended my federal tax return with a CP-2000 to add some interest from a 1099-INT I had misplaced when filing fed return. I sent them extra payment they asked for (a few hundred dollars).

I live in NJ. Extra state taxes as a result of extra income would be around $200 or so, plus a little interest. Should I file an amended NJ return myself or wait for NJ to get the update from the IRS (I understand they have any information sharing with the IRS) and send me a notice for extra taxes ? It would be a bit of a pain to amend NJ return, and I am inclined to wait for them to bill me. There would be extra cost of interest till that time, but at 6% or so, its quite small. Professional costs of amending NJ return would likely be around $50 at least with a lot of paperwork. For such a small sum of taxes, is there any harm in just waiting for NJ to bill me ?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 03:24 PM
    My experience with NJ is that it typically takes them about 3 years to catch up with filing errors. So 6% interest for 3 years on $200 owed will incerase the amount you'll eventually have to pay by about $36. I guess you need to decide whether you'd rather pay $200 now or $236 later.
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Feb 15, 2013, 04:26 PM
    If you do not amend a North Carolina return within 6 months of the change, there is a 5% per month penalty up to 25% of the tax. By the time NC bills you, you would owe the tax, interest, and another 25%. You may want to be sure New Jersey does not have anything like that.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 07:44 PM
    Both MLSNC and ebaines make strong arguments for amending the return immediately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1120: State income tax deductible in federal tax return for corp. [ 2 Answers ]

In our C Corp. we use the Accrual method of accounting. Nevertheless, in our past Federal Inc. tax returns, my accountant (actually, ex-accountant) has been deducting the State Inc. Taxes PAID in the FY, instead of the accrued tax. I want to start deducting the accrued tax, starting this FY's...

On the Indiana State Tax Return can I take the property tax deduction? [ 1 Answers ]

I received the 2008 property tax bill and paid the bill. I purchased the home in 2008 and the seller paid property taxes through an adjustment on the closing statement. The only qualification I see about property taxes is that they have to be the taxes for your primary residence and I satisfy...

Amending 2007 tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I need to amend my 2007 tax return. I had put that I made a $500.00 contribution to my IRA, but the money did not get to my financial institution on time and was credit to my 2008 taxe return. What form do I need to fill out

Amending a Tax Return [ 1 Answers ]

I am truly a novice at this (filing tax returns) so it was a big shock when I rec'd in the mail a 1099 Misc after I had already filed my federal return. Now I have to file an amended tax return and I am having trouble doing so. My 1099 Misc amount was $2,500. I cannot believe that now I owe...

Amending State tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H-1B Visa and I am single which means I can claim standard deduction 0f 3516 in while filing the state tax return. Am I right ? If yes, I forgot to mention that and I got less state tax refund. Could you tell me how do I correct it ? Thanks,

View more questions Search