Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    madeezemom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 06:20 PM
    transmission compatibility
    Hi there all, just joined, very glad this site is here:}
    We have an old 2002 murray with a supposed bad transmission (we haven't taken a look at it, it was pronounced dead by the garden tractor repair god). We have now found a person nearby who would like to sell us 2 mowers of the Murray variety for parts. 1 is a Tecumseh Murray 12 hsp 5 gear transmission (the model rectangle is missing so no model number), and the other is a 1997 Murray model 7-38565x34 with a Briggs 12 hsp. Would either of these transmissions work in our 2002 Murray model 42813 6 spd 14 hsp? I appreciate any help you can give, cathy:rolleyes:
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Mar 18, 2007, 10:14 PM
    It is a matter of bolting up, measure the area between mounting bolts to see if it fits and then check diameter of driven pulley on transaxle. If pulley is wrong diameter you may be able to swap if center shaft is same.

I would double check the transaxle in the original tractor, failure is rare if not non-existant, if one of the wheel keys is sheard the mower won't move.

You will not find a resource to tell if the transaxles are interchangeable.
    Don
    madeezemom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Thank you for the information. Would you be more specific as to which failure rate is rare, transmission incompatibility, or ? Also, hubby took out some pulley that was ruined, we will try and replace that first before the transmission (although we will assume:rolleyes: that if it was the only problem the tractor repair guy would have fixed it).. thank you again, Cathy
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Mar 19, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Transaxle failure is rare, the lawn guy may not have wanted to spend time on proper diagnostics thinking you would not want to spend the money. I have employed lots of lawn mower equipment gods and they are good at recognizing the avenue of income such as tunes and other profitable repairs.

If the pulley your hubby found was on top of the transaxle that would be the problem pulley.
    Don

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asus P5PE-VM SATA and EIDE Compatibility [ 1 Answers ]

Purchased an Asus p5pe-vm MB and WD 1600 SATA HD, everything installed fine, but the HD comes up as the 2nd or 3rd IDE master and when installing an EIDE HD it comes up as Primary Slave and wants to boot off it instead of the SATA Wrong MB? I can't believe Asus built a board that in a 2 HD...

Manual Transmission [ 1 Answers ]

94 Honda Prelude will not shift into reverse. No recent modifications. Fluid levels okay

Excel and word compatibility [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to streamline the data entry process in my company with regards to a new service. Right now we input customer order info into a Word document, retype the same info into an Excel spreadsheet, then copy and reformat the information into an Outlook email to the customer. I would like to...

Mobo and Processor Compatibility [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GVC mb I bought on eBay (big mistake), GVC KR637 Pll 440EX Micro ATX MB anyway it said it supports the Pll, I also bought a Pll (on ebay) and would like to know if I could just plug these in together. I know for a fact that this mobo supports Pll, but I have no manual or specs. I have...

View more questions Search