Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dsgray Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Tipping for Wedding
    I am getting married in May and I had a few quesitons that no one can help me out on.

1. I read that the groom is supposed to be responsible for making a "donation" to the church that your getting married at. That's fine... how much?

2. Do you tip the servers at the reception venue and if so how much?

I would grately appreciate any help in this matter.. I'm going bonkers over here trying to budget and its hard to nail down these numbers.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 18, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Normally the church building is rented and it use and clean up is paid by a fee. Normally the person funishing the music and the pastor are tipped.
    I have gotten as little as 20 dollars ( I do a lot of low income weddings) to as much as several hundred dollars. ( our pastors just do for tips)

And yes often the servers are tipped. I think but not sure about 20 dollars
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2007, 07:31 PM
    1. Usually the church (unless you're a member) will charge a fee for the use of their facilities. This may include various things, such as payment for the organist, minister, etc. Anything that's not covered it's appropriate for the groom to make a donation. I'd suggest maybe $100 for the minister, $75 for the organist and $75 to the church itself for the use of the facilities.

2. Often the gratuity is included in the price. Check with your catering facility to be sure. If not, then plan on tipping. Depending on the amount of work each one has to do, you're probably looking at $20 - $30 for each server. However, this would normally be the bride's family's expense.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Mar 21, 2007, 02:12 PM
    I agree with S_cianci except that usually the musicians will charge you a set price and an additional tip is not warranted unless they have gone above and beyond. I think $100 for the minister and what you can afford as a donation to the church is appropriate. Tips for the reception should be about 20% and are probably going to be included in the bill. If the bartenders are hired by the food caterers, they will be tipped out from those gratuities in the case of an open bar. They may also receive additional tips from your guests throughout the evening. You might ask the catering service in advance how they handle tipping.

Remember to tip hairdressers, nail technicians, Limo drivers, hotel bellmen and airport skycaps ($1 per bag) and others in service professions. People sometimes forget these people particularly when services are provided during a busy wedding, and everyone thinks that someone else took care of it.

Guests should not ever pay tips for attending an event to which they were invited unless they take advantage of a personal service such as having their car parked at the reception.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wedding [ 5 Answers ]

I fiancé and I are planning our wedding which started to be a large affair.. However, with everyone’s lack of interest I would just rather elope. My family lives 3000 miles away and I’ve tried communicating by phone with what needs to be done but it just ends up in an argument. My mother is not as...

Tipping etiquette [ 14 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I went to a hair salon and had my hair straightened.. I paid $300 plus $70 tip.. 3 days later my hair was wavy again so I had the stylist re-do it . She didn't charge me for the service again but she did charge me for the hair supplies which came to $25.00. Should I have tipped...

Tipping [ 6 Answers ]

Should I tip the guy installing carpet at my house. If so, how much? He doesn't own the business, he's the installer for the company from which I purchased the carpet.

Yellow tipping [ 3 Answers ]

Can somebody tell me what yellow tipping means?

Tipping : Sushi bar [ 3 Answers ]

Good morning everyone, I have a question about tipping. As I am from Western Europe, the " tipping culture" is rather strange to me now that I live in the US. But I've managed to understand the minimum of it ( waitress, hairdresser.. ) My problem is about Sushi bars. I love sushis, and I love...

View more questions Search