Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Feb 15, 2013, 09:50 AM
    Is a greenhouse in disrepair an asset or detriment to real estate value?
    Hi,

This is a difficult-to-decide thing for me because I grew up with a hoarder--so worthless things are harder for me to get rid of and recognize as worthless--always that 'hope' that it is somehow worth more than maybe it really is...

Have a sizable greenhouse on our property. 20'x50' I'd guesstimate. It was handmade by a former property owner who was a welder. Frame is all steel. Outside is covered in fiberglass corrugated panels, there are several sliding glass windows that seem to have been salvage items. One window is broken--shards of glass I'll have to pick up carefully inside. 2 end Doors are wood frames and covered in heavy clear plastic that has deteriorated and is mostly not there (open). One problem for us (which wasn't a problem for former owner) is the doorways and metal frame above doorways is too low. We are 5'10" tall and have to stoop to enter or bang our heads. I'm thinking door is probably 5'6"?

We are in possession of the property with intent to rent the home and 3 acres and wonder if we ought better tear down this greenhouse or leave it for use of the tenants? Is it a detriment or as asset? (Previous owner and neighborhood is large families with large gardens. Seasons are such that greenhouse is useful for nights are cold even in summer. Property also sports several fruit trees and root cellars.)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 15, 2013, 03:10 PM
    Much as I would love a greenhouse, those corrugated panels are an eyesore to most people.
    I might be inclined to leave the steel frame, as long as the 20 x 50 space inside is kept mowed or weeded, and the steel isn't all rusty. A new owner someday might want to put in real glass or plexiglas, at a huge savings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Friends with benefits, or detriment? [ 3 Answers ]

I was recently intimate with a friend who has a girlfriend. He expressed that he feels guilt and will not leave her; yet he would like to continue our friendship, as well as intimacy from time to time. I am confused because he has flirted with me for so long that I believed he had feelings for me,...

What is the fee involved for suing for breach of real estate of real estate contract [ 1 Answers ]

What is the approximate fee involved for suing the buyer for breach of contract for a real estate deal?

Real Estate [ 1 Answers ]

What are your experiences with a real estate broker? What kind of service would you like to have? Where do you look for a broker?

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

View more questions Search