Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    onegame Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2013, 08:35 AM
    Writing a dissertation
    Hello,
    I'm doing a dissertation on a novel. I picked two themes that I want to work on. I set out and outline, but the problem is, I don't know how to do it exactly. I mean, should I just take out excerpts from the novel and analyse them one by one? Or is there another way to do it?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 08:38 AM
    Which novel and which two themes? (Why TWO themes?) What is your thesis statement?

Do you know how to make an outline in general?

Feb 15, 2013, 08:49 AM
    The novel is 1984 by George Orwell and my focus will be on totalitarianism and media abuse. I divided my work into two parts: one concerning totalitarianism and its different aspects in the novel ( its definition, structure, thought police.. etc) and the other one concerning aspects of the media in the novel ( newspeak, propaganda, falsification of history.. ). What I want is the way I should write under each title? Would taking quotes from the novel and commenting on them be sufficient? I didn't want to be specific at first because I just want the general way to do a dissertation on a novel. Thanks in advance!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 09:55 AM
    How long is this dissertation supposed to be?

No, quotes from the novel will not be sufficient. The way I was taught how to do a dissertation is first do a literature review and use salient information from various sources to strengthen your thesis, so that you have outside proofs. Then use info from the novel itself as further proof.

Did your instructor give you a dissertation guideline? Or is this one of those homeschooling assignments that you have no background for?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2013, 09:59 AM
    Are you going for a graduate degree? Your dissertation committee should provide you a guideline. They have to approve it and authorize for you to defend it to get your degree, so it's very worthwhile to find out what they want from the start.

If they have no guidelines, as if they have any examples of dissertations they felt were well formatted and organized.

I've helped a number of friends who were expert in their fields but not skills writers to complete doctoral dissertations, but we've always had very detailed instructions to start with from their committees.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 10:09 AM
    Read this --

Essay Outline

I'm guessing you are using the term "dissertation" quite loosely, not as a project on the road to a master's or Ph.D. We used the term "essay" as expository writing about a novel, and that is what I suspect your project is to be.

Feb 15, 2013, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    How long is this dissertation supposed to be?

No, quotes from the novel will not be sufficient. The way I was taught how to do a dissertation is first do a literature review and use salient information from various sources to strengthen your thesis, so that you have outside proofs. Then use info from the novel itself as further proof.

Did your instructor give you a dissertation guideline? or is this one of those homeschooling assignments that you have no background for?
    Unfortunately, my instructor did not provide me with any guideline, and they never do it actually; that's why I'm looking for a way to do it online. Could you provide me with one, or an example of a dissertation that I can follow, please?

Feb 15, 2013, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknownuthin View Post
    Are you going for a graduate degree? Your dissertation committee should provide you a guideline. They have to approve it and authorize for you to defend it to get your degree, so it's very worthwhile to find out what they want from the start.

If they have no guidelines, as if they have any examples of dissertations they felt were well formatted and organized.

I've helped a number of friends who were expert in their fields but not skills writers to complete doctoral dissertations, but we've always had very detailed instructions to start with from their committees.
    Yes, it's for a BA degree. They don't provide us with any guidelines and I couldn't find any dissertations I could take as an example. I'd appreciate it if you could provide me with an example.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by onegame View Post
    Yes, it's for a BA degree. They don't provide us with any guidelines and I couldn't find any dissertations I could take as an example. I'd appreciate it if you could provide me with an example.
    Check the essay outline I posted in this thread or Google keywords such as "sample dissertation outline" (without quote marks) to find one you like the looks of (there are more than one, many in .pdf format).

Feb 15, 2013, 02:07 PM
    Check the essay outline I posted in this thread or Google keywords such as "sample dissertation outline" (without quote marks) to find one you like the looks of (there are more than one, many in .pdf format).
    Thanks a lot. I have just one last question concerning my outline. Since my focus will be the two themes I picked up, should I devote a whole chapter for the novel and author or should I just write that in the general introduction of the work then devote two separate chapters for the two other themes?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 03:05 PM
    Dissertations don't have chapters. You will want to write an abstract, And you will have to be careful how you present your two themes. Do you plan to merge them in the Conclusion?

Have you looked at outlines yet? I feel like you don't quite have that part figured out.

Feb 15, 2013, 03:26 PM
    Dissertations don't have chapters. You will want to write an abstract,. And you will have to be careful how you present your two themes. Do you plan to merge them in the Conclusion?

Have you looked at outlines yet? I feel like you don't quite have that part figured out.
    I was actually taught that a dissertation or a thesis both have chapters... I think I just confused the terms? :/
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by onegame View Post
    I was actually taught that a dissertation or a thesis both have chapters...I think I just confused the terms? :/
    Hmmm, I have never heard that in my academic life. And the definition of dissertation has always been a huge paper on the way to obtaining a Ph.D. A thesis is written on the way to obtaining a master's degree.

I certainly wish you had guidelines. Again I ask, is this a homeschool project?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 04:07 PM
    Let's back up the bus. What is the purpose of this paper?

How long is it supposed to be?

Feb 17, 2013, 01:42 PM
    Hmmm, I have never heard that in my academic life. And the definition of dissertation has always been a huge paper on the way to obtaining a Ph.D. A thesis is written on the way to obtaining a master's degree.

I certainly wish you had guidelines. Again I ask, is this a homeschool project?
    I asked one of my teachers today and he told me the opposite actually. This 'project' is for my BA degree. We use the French term here 'memoire' to refer to it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 17, 2013, 01:59 PM
    So did you ask the teacher more questions about how to do this?

Which country are you in?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dissertation ! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi... I am studying hotel managemnet and tourism and have to write a dissirtation! Therefore I wanted to ask if u can me to find some dissertation exampes. Thanks )

I just want to know p are in writing minutes and what really writing [ 3 Answers ]

I just want to know the procedures in writing minutes and what really entails in writing minutes.

Hr dissertation [ 1 Answers ]

Performance appraisal

What to do about dissertation [ 1 Answers ]

I am supposed to come up with a dessertation question by feb.2 and am wondering if there are any suggestions.am doing, Msc. International human resource management(development studies)

View more questions Search