Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grencha Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2013, 11:40 PM
    Need to Provide Copy of Drivers license
    I was told that where I work I will now be required to provide a photo copy of my drivers license every month! Does this seem just a little bit ridiculous? First I thought it was just myself but it seems all employees need to. All which I am not sure about because I guess a few might be excluded because they do not need to drive any company vehicles. Was also not given any explanation for this either but after asking other employees it might be because of the insurance they use.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 14, 2013, 11:55 PM
    Do you drive a company vehicle?

When a company has drivers driving their vehicles, the insurance company has to know each individual driver that's employed by that company. Everyone that has access to those vehicles, even if they aren't a driver.

The insurance company will obtain a drivers abstract, and then determine if you'll be insured under the company's policy. Many times, if you have a DUI, or too many speeding tickets, or don't meet the qualifications to drive the vehicle in question, the insurance company will not insure you. Then it's up to the company to decide what to do. Let you go, or let you drive, committing insurance fraud, and hope you don't get into an accident. Not a good idea.

It's totally acceptable, and expected, for a company whose employees drive company vehicles, or have access to those vehicles, to request a copy of your drivers license.

Before you say "You're a pet expert, what do you know"? I have a college degree, and my career, before I had kids, was as an insurance underwriter. Albeit in Canada, so the laws may not be the same where you live. But I can't see any insurance company not requesting the names of employees and copies of a drivers license, from anyone that has access to a company vehicle, or is known to regularly drive a company vehicle.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 12:05 AM
    It's not ridiculous at all. At the public library where I worked, we all had to provide a copy of our current driver's license because we attended meetings at other libraries on company time, delivered books to the homebound, and generally used our cars for library paid or unpaid business (including driving to and from work/home).

The monthly requirement is probably to check if employees have lost their license due to traffic violations, etc.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 03:26 AM
    Having to give them a new copy every month, is a bit silly but they are within their rights to ask for it.

I guess the question is why is it a problem for you, walk into the office, make a photo and give it to them
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 15, 2013, 04:23 AM
    As long as the policy is applied fairly without discrimination there is nothing wrong with it.

What is the purpose of doing so? If, as noted, employees may be driving company vehicles or driving on company time, it makes sense.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 15, 2013, 04:36 AM
    Of course it makes sense. It should have been obvious if you drive a company vehicle. In addition to having your license taken away for serious infractions like DUI, you also can't get your license renewed if you have fines unpaid and insurance lapsed. Once a month just sounds like a company insurer that is extra cautious because they got burned.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2013, 06:22 AM
    Many companies are now taking more means of checking about certain things, like you say, every month, some even ever 2 weeks. Many doctors offices now want to see your insurance ID every visit! Use to, they would keep it on their computer, or a copy in a folder. But, now with some it's every time.
    This seems to be more of a common practice than it used to be. You can always ask why.

Feb 17, 2013, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Having to give them a new copy every month, is a bit silly but they are within their rights to ask for it.

I guess the question is why is it a problem for you, walk into the office, make a photo and give it to them
    Reply:
    Well seems like a waste of paper not that it is that much of a problem. Besides the fact if it gives them a legal right to sort of monitor what you do outside of work. I am just guessing that could be or that they want to do that to a specific person. I said no reason was given and they could have emailed that reason to employees since they also required personal email addresses from those that have one?
    Either I miss understood what they want or somebody else did because a person I asked this about said they did not know it was required every month. I just do not like the idea they would have that information laying around for who knows might use for some other reason.
    current pert

Feb 17, 2013, 12:53 PM
    You aren't addressing the rights of the insurers of company vehicles. You seem more concerned with being
    Singled out - just ask around of all those who drive company vehicles
    Not seeing official written policy - just ask for it
    Being monitored in some way - yes, that's the price you pay for driving their car on their insurance. If you don't like it, use your own car or get a different job.

Feb 17, 2013, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    You aren't addressing the rights of the insurers of company vehicles. You seem more concerned with being
    singled out - just ask around of all those who drive company vehicles
    not seeing official written policy - just ask for it
    being monitored in some way - yes, that's the price you pay for driving their car on their insurance. If you don't like it, use your own car or get a different job.
    Reply:
    Well actually the reason I drive or operate any vehicle is not as a personal vehicle. I work at a Auto Dealer and I drive vehicles on their lot and sometimes other than that but 99% of the time it is on their lot. There is an exception in that I go to a Gas station that is on the same block as the dealership.
    current pert

Feb 17, 2013, 03:48 PM
    Do you go out with customers on test drives?
    Again - if the insurer got burned somewhere, it makes sense that they now want to know that employees have current licenses.
    A customer could have been taken on a test drive by someone with a lapsed or suspended license. A customer's car in for repairs could have been taken out and crashed by the same. Or taken out and run into someone else, injuring people.
    I think you need to see that this is reasonable, and not feel singled out, or that you have some rights to privacy that you don't have.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 17, 2013, 05:23 PM
    If you are driving these cars using dealer tags on them, then I see this as completely reasonable request. The insurance company probably is strict about the use of dealer tags and the dealer you work for wants to be sure that there are no unlicensed drivers using their tags.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drivers License #: [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to know if this person is married before or is he single? And what is his address. Please advise

I need a Drivers License [ 54 Answers ]

I am in need of a drivers license. In June of 2006 I was arrested in W.Va.(USA) and bonded out, I then jumped bond and hualed out of the state. I have not returned since, nor have I showed up for a single court date, not even my prelim. I now live in Alabama and I have tried to get a DL, but this...

Drivers license [ 1 Answers ]

When was the first drivers license in Pa. issued, and when did they start charging for them.

UK drivers license to US license (but with conviction) [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the UK and I recently crashed my dad's car (without a license nor insurance). I am going to get my full license soon, but the motoring department in the UK have said that I WILL have a conviction on it (obvisouly, for crashing, driving without license/insurance, seatbelts, etc). I am...

View more questions Search