Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poeda Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2005, 08:49 PM
    Fixtures burning out bulbs
    Not sure if this is a fixture problem, or some other. It seems that I go through lightbulbs rather quickly in two different fixtures in my house. I've even tried those long life, power-saver bulbs, to no avail. Both fixtures are cheap. One is a basic lightbulb fixture that you plug into a regular power socket. The other is a single bulb piece that has a simple round goldfish aquarium like glass dome cover. The bulbs will last anywhere from a few days to a few months. I stopped using the 2-year, 23-watt power saving bulbs (they are expensive), and started using inexpensive 60 watt bulbs. I'd much rather waste 50 cents a bulb, rather than 4 dollars a bulb.

Any idea what might be causing this? Both fixtures on are different circuits going to the same breaker box. I have no problems with any other lighting in property, including a second, 23-watt energy saver bulb which is on the same circuit as one of the fixtures I am having trouble with. Could just be coincidence, though. The house was built in 1941, and the wiring was upgraded from knob and tube to copper. The copper seems to be rather old, though, at least to me. It has a cloth-like covering over it, which I am not familiar with. I am pretty new to all of this.

TIA!!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2005, 04:56 PM
    First of all,don't stop using the energy saving lamps you mentioned,assuming they are the compact fluorescent lamps.

Incandescent lamps burn out quickly due to several reasons. One reason is heat,if the fixture is a style that has an enclosed globe, this will retain heat and shorten the lamp life.

Another is higher than normal than nominal voltage of standard 120 volts. Try to use incandescent lamps rated for 125-130 volts. Even if the voltage is slightly higher than the rated voltage of the lamp, for a short period will shorten the lamp life.

Loose socket terminals can cause heat at the lamp terminals, cauisng the lamp to burn out quickly.

Do not be surprised if you are experiencing all of the symptoms I have mentioned. Investigate these reasons and see if any exist.
    poeda Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2005, 08:27 PM
    Thank you for the ideas. I will definitely look into it. I didn't even think about the possible voltage difference. I can test that out easily enough with a multitester.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bulbs Burning out TOO fast! [ 1 Answers ]

The light bulbs in my bathroom fixtures are burning out at an alarming rate (1 or to a wek). What might be causing this?

New Bath & Shower Fixtures [ 2 Answers ]

I had a new shower/bath area built and plumbed quite some time ago. I have finished tiling and an ready to have the shower nozzle, hot/cold knobs, and bath faucet installed. I was just told the pipes that were installed must match the brand of fixture. Is this right? I have no idea what the...

Installing new bathtub and fixtures... [ 7 Answers ]

Hi My wife and I just began ripping out our old bathtub to put in a new one. We decided we would also like new faucettes etc. I disconnected the hot and cold taps but the shower pipe will not come loose. Is this a soldered pipe? It appears to have a nut on it but I can't get it loose at all. Any...

Replacing bathtub and shower fixtures [ 4 Answers ]

(1) When replacing bathtub "snout", shower controls etc.. Do you caulk around the fixtures or use plumbers puddy? The original installation had plumbers puddy. (2) Do you place the caulk so the fixtures "sqeeze" out some material or just inside the fixtures? Example: I've obtain some...

Tub won't drain, other fixtures are fine... [ 5 Answers ]

We've a full bath (combo shower/tub, lav and toilet) where the tub either does not drain at all, or will take 48 hours to finally go down (when aided by chemicals I know I should not be using). The lav and toilet have no flush/drain problems, so I'm not thinking it's a bad vent situation... could...

View more questions Search