Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Feb 14, 2013, 12:33 PM
    Drywall Mud??
    Hello everyone. Happy Valentines Day!
    Okay back to business. I just finished taping my bedroom with a tool called the drywall banjo. I have to say it went very smooth and fast. My question is what type of mud should I use for the first coat? Some say all purpose and some say lightweight. Does it really matter what type I use for first coat?

Thanks!
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2013, 12:37 PM
    If you are doing it for yourself... no.

If you do it for a living and time is money... get the dry stuff, and mix it in small batches.. it dries a LOT faster.
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Feb 14, 2013, 12:45 PM
    Well I don't do it for a living but I sure would like to get it over with. So maybe use the dry stuff? And what is it called?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2013, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by davidadrian140 View Post
    Well I don't do it for a living but I sure would like to get it over with. So maybe use the dry stuff? And what is it called?
    Comes in bags ( like concrete does)... and it kicks off really quick (sets up)... like you can be sanding this in like a half hour or so... the premixed stuff takes a lot longer to dry. But that buys you a lot of time to work it. They are both in the same area of the store... like Lowe's or HomeDepot.

In hindsight the next time I will use the Dry stuff... like when I do my basement. (learned to work with it well enough I can move fast enough for it).

If you are comfortible to work fast... but if you work slow.. get the premixed stuff.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2013, 06:08 AM
    The pros typically use the dry stuff for small repairs. I use the 20 minute-but Iam not a pro for sure. However they just finished 42 homes in our n 'hood and they used lightweight premixed that came in boxes. Dry mix in a banjo or bazooka can be deadly if it sets up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to mud and tape if I'm putting a shower surround over the drywall? [ 1 Answers ]

Our tile in crumbling off our shower walls and the old drywall needs replaced as well. I purchased a 3 piece shower surround, I'm not sure if I need to mud and tape the new drywall or since the surround will be sealed I don't need to worry about it.

MUD coming up from basement drain... THICK GOOPY MUD! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am almost afraid to ask... does it mean my pipe going out to the cities sewer system is broken if there is thick goopy mud coming up from my basements drain? Some backround... I have had root problems in the past. We have had to use an auger through my main drain about every 2 years to...

Drywall mud [ 10 Answers ]

Does anybody know how much mud to purchase for drywall taping? I have around 80 sheets to tape, bed and finish :rolleyes:

Repair drywall seam around shower stall-some mold in drywall [ 3 Answers ]

Paint on drywall seam --10 in .that surromds ouside od shower stall has cracked. Pulling it off I discovered the mesh drywall tape below showed no signs of mud and was on top of dryall which now has developed a 6 in length of mold--- Painter 3-years ago did not do proper job-what to do?

Drywall Mud bubbles [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum, great tips and ideas from what I can see. I am applying Sheetrock 90 as my drywall mud, as I apply it tiny bubbles appear in the mud. The bubbles are forming, not being applied. Would this be a water quality issue when mixing the compound. I am doing my final...

View more questions Search