Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marangeo Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2013, 10:59 PM
    Ms works spreadsheet
    I am creating an MS Works - Version 8.5 - Spreadsheet into which is entered the Date of the month, the Month and the Year. The year is calculated to be either a Non-Leap Year or a Leap Year according to a formula, and the word "YES" or the word "NO" appears under the respective heading.
    The headings are, Date of month - D3, Month - E3, Year - F3, Non-Leap Year - H3 and Leap Year - I3
    The data is entered in D4, E4, F4 and the word "YES" or the word "NO" appears under the respective heading in H4 and I4.
    The months, January to December are listed in B11 to B22.
    What I want to show, in Column A, alongside each month, is a message to signal an error, should an incorrect date of the month be entered - e.g 32 for January, 31 for April etc. Whether the year is a Non-Leap Year or a Leap Year makes no difference and the word "YES" or the word "NO" does not come into the equation, so the following formulae produce the desired result.
    =IF(AND(D4>31,E4="JANUARY"),"31 DAYS","")
    =IF(AND(D4>31,E4="APRIL"),"30 DAYS","")
    February, however, which can have either 28 days or 29 days, and, because each cell can hold only one formula, presents a different situation. The formula will have to be a combination of:
    =IF(AND(D4>28,E4="FEBRUARY",H4=",H4="),"28 DAYS"),"","FEBRUARY",I4=") and
    =IF(AND(D4>29,E4="),"29 DAYS",I4="")
    Any help appreciated. Thanks
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 14, 2013, 01:38 AM
    Post a workbook and I'll take a look. Make sure there is enough data to demonstrate all your variations.

I'm not sure you actually need the leap year columns. We should be able to flag the maximum days of any month given by the month and year alone.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 14, 2013, 04:50 AM
    I don't think any of this is necessary, because Works doesn't allow date errors as long as you format a cell as a date. Is it necessary for what you are doing to have dates in 3 columns?

Feb 14, 2013, 08:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire View Post
    Post a workbook and I'll take a look. Make sure there is enough data to demonstrate all your variations.

I'm not sure you actually need the leap year columns. We should be able to flag the maximum days of any month given by the month and year alone.
    Thanks for your reply.

Hope this is what you mean. Since only *.xls files may be attached, this is the MS Works Spreadsheet (*.xlr) file saved as Excel 97-2003 (*.xls). It appears to work OK. Some slight differences in the functions and formulae but the same result.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xls Weekday Calculator 2.xls (32.0 KB, 130 views)

Feb 14, 2013, 08:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I don't think any of this is necessary, because Works doesn't allow date errors as long as you format a cell as a date. Is it necessary for what you are doing to have dates in 3 columns?
    Thanks for your reply.

In this case, Yes.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 12:59 AM
    I'm a bit flummoxed at looking at all of this, what in the world could this be for?

Can you state in normal sentence form what you're trying to accomplish, the end goal? Don't speak in Excel-speak or MSWorks-speak. In English, what is the point of all this? I can't imagine it can't be done in one simple formula instead of 8 long steps...

Feb 15, 2013, 02:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire View Post
    I'm a bit flummoxed at looking at all of this, what in the world could this be for?

Can you state in normal sentence form what you're trying to accomplish, the end goal? Don't speak in Excel-speak or MSWorks-speak. In English, what is the point of all this? I can't imagine it can't be done in one simple formula instead of 8 long steps...
    Thanks for your reply.

The whole idea is to determine the day of the week in any given year in the Gregorian calendar e.g "On which day was Christmas 1848?"

Answer: Monday

Feb 18, 2013, 01:54 AM
    Problem solved. Used a couple of extra formulae using the 'And' function:
    =AND(D4>28,E4="FEBRUARY",H4="YES") in cell L7
    =AND(D4>29,E4="FEBRUARY",I4="YES") in cell M7
    then a nested 'If' function
    =IF(L7=1,"28 DAYS",IF(M7=1,"29 DAYS","")) in cell A12

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Standard Deviation results differ when calc in excel and Microsoft works spreadsheet [ 3 Answers ]

when calculating std deviation in Microsoft Works Spreadsheet 8.5 - STD(data set range) gives a different value for my set of data, than when calculated in windows Excel - STDEV(data set range). why is this? Am I doing something wrong?

Remote works, light works, fan humms does not turn [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Hamton Bay fan with a remote/no pull chain. The light on the remote comes on and does properly operate the light on the fan. It also turns on and off a humming noise but there is no movement from the fan itself. Of course, the house did not come with an owners manual. Is...

Microsoft works spreadsheet 8.5 [ 3 Answers ]

When I type data in a cell, on my old computer it used to automatically fill in the rest of the data but on my new computer which has Microsoft works spreadsheet 8.5. can I get this feature? And also can I get Microsoft works spreadsheet to find any duplicate information IE phone numbers that I...

Ms works database to ms works spreadsheet [ 2 Answers ]

Have tried copy/paste but I get a message stating "make sure the destination area is as large as the info you wish to paste" .Anyone help please?

View more questions Search